Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pzxqzr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Personal Taxes, living and working in NY, W2 add for NH
    Hello,

Hope this email finds you well. I have a question regarding personal taxes and I was wondering if you could address my query.

I works and live in New York, NY but I have listed Nashua, New Hampshire as my residence on his W2 – so paychecks are billed to NH. Furthermore, the firm is HQ in Boston and has a branch office in NY, where I work. I have immediate family in NH and used to live there earlier. The main reason why I wish to keep NH for the W2 address is that there is no State Tax in NH.

I was wondering if you could inform me regarding the New York tax laws and how would they affect me. Would I be paying city tax for NY and state tax for NH? OR would I have to pay State tax in NY too? If you could summarize the kinds of taxes I would pay monthly, that would be great.

Please advise.
    Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 03:52 PM

Since you live and work in NY, you owe NY State and NY City income taxes. You do not live, nor work, in NH, so even if they had an income tax (which they don't) you would owe them nothing. The fact that the company is headquartered in MA is not relevant - all that matters is where you live and where you work. If your empoyer is not withholding NY City and NY State tax from your paycheck, you will have a big tax bill due come next April, which may well include a penalty for under-payment of withholding tax during the year. My advice is that you need to contact your HR department and have your address corrected ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes: Living in New York City but working in New Jersey [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New York City but work in New Jersey. I'm married no children. I'd like to find out about what are my taxes for New York City and New York State? Also, any advise for me for the next tax year on what to withhold from my employer? Thank you.

Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Placement of Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? Thanks & Regards

Taxes when Married, Living & Working in Two Different States [ 3 Answers ]

Dear someone, My husband and I are married but currently live and work in two different states -- I in Kentucky and he in Illinois. Will this impact our federal filing and, if so, how? And how do we file state taxes? Also, how do I go about finding a tax professional with expertise that can...

Taxes of living in New York and working in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New York City but I work in New Jersey. I'm married with two children. I'd like to find out about what are my taxes for New York City and New Jersey State? Also, any advise for me for the next tax year on what to withhold from my employer? Thank you.

Taxes for a J1 visa living in NY and working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a Non resident alien under J1 visa and French permanent resident. It is my first tax return in the US. I live in NY and have worked both in NY (5% of time) and in NJ. So I filled up the forms 1040NR for the federal return, 8833 for the French-US exemption but also IT-203 , IT-203 ATT for...

View more questions Search