Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esrayt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Leaking water heater following pressure loss and restoration
    We recently had a pipe break in the water line to our street and went without water for a few hours. Upon receiving adequate water pressure, our water heater began to leak from the pressure relief valve. We haven't had any such difficulties so I assume the two events are related. Will it stop leaking on its own or should I cycle the valve open and closed to remove the hiccup? Any advice would be appreciated!

-esrayt
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 06:13 PM

Try to recycle the T&P valve a few time and see if it will help, if not check the water pressure it should be 40 to 65 psi and check the water heater gas valve for proper setting, if every thing is OK I will suggest to change the T&P. good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Watts Water Pressure Test gauge.pdf (327.4 KB, 233 views)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 07:18 PM

Ask the city water dept how much water pressure you are getting or test yourself by outting a gauge on the outside spigot. When your line was replaced yopur psi may be much higher than with the old line, if so you can install a PRV to bring the pressure down to about 45 psi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Very low water pressue to house after replacing leaking valve on water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the leaking valve leading to the hot water heater, drained the hot water heater, turned the main valve to the house back on and now have very low water pressure to the house (cold and hot) The house has galvanized metal pipes... HELP please!:confused:

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

View more questions Search