Ask
    Fredj88 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2008, 10:55 AM

Don't give up your friends for any girl
    Be more alert
    Not so trustful
    Fredj88 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2008, 11:01 AM

The person who is the most jealous in the relationship Is the one whose moslt likely to cheat

I also learnt that I'll never cheat I pondered it in my previous relatio ships but never did it and after being cheated on and this horrible feeling I know I never will
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 11:08 AM

I broke up with him after being together for over 4 years and being engaged for 3 of those years. What I learned was:

1. not to stop hanging out with my friends because the guy doesn't like them
    2. not to stay with someone because you're afraid of being alone
    3. not to sell myself short
    husky04 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Jan 11, 2009, 08:39 PM

Thought I would put my thoughts on here.

- A break means its over for good

- When they say "we should be friends" it's a way of making themselves feel less guilt.

- Facebook and myspace are the worst places to be after a break up.

- Don't try to change the persons mind when they make the decision, they have been thinking about it for a long time.

- You are never alone when it comes to dealing with this issue
    a la king Posts: 121, Reputation: 22

Jan 11, 2009, 10:44 PM

From a guys perspective..

-A relationship is a partnership. No slacking. EVER!
    -Comfort is a dangerous thing and you should always be alert and on your toes.
    -Be supportive
    -Listen and be listened to.
    -Somethings might be trivial to you - but not to them. Don't make their things seem trivial. Same goes for them to you.
    -Be a man. Sensitivity is good. But don't be a pu$$y. It's very unbecoming.
    -Stand-up for yourself. You need to be respected.
    -Don't eat so damn much. You'll get fat.
    -If they need space after a fight (not a 'break', just a couple of hours time out) - give it to them!
    -Don't be dependent.
    -Actions speak so much louder than words.

That's it for now.
    Yosomoton213 Posts: 174, Reputation: 45

Jan 11, 2009, 11:01 PM

The largest one for me:

Usually, she's telling and showing all the things you need to see and hear to decide if she is indeed "the one". Sometimes you're just too dumb to pick them up, or other times you choose to ignore them or rationalize her behaviour. But what it all boils down to... we all had it coming.
    Paininside1234 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Never beg to have another chance with a cheater.

If I to like breaking up the relationship I will do it, instead of being manipulated into staying.

Don't be the only one to sacrifice in the relationship

Go no contact from the beginning

Don't change for anyone
    LOUNTASH Posts: 73, Reputation: 0

Jan 12, 2009, 06:23 AM
    That I needed to be stronger in next relationship
    hungtoronto Posts: 162, Reputation: 34

Jan 12, 2009, 08:58 AM

What did I learned? Well,

1. Nothing last forever.
    2. Learn to let go when it doesn't workout even if it hurts. There's only one parachute and you should jump first. Don't be a .
    3. Stop being obsessed with breasts and thighs like colonel Sanders.
    4. You are not invincible. Breakup hurt like a SOB so don't just go for anyone. Even if you think you'll not fall in love with her.
    5. Stick to your principles.
    Str8stack71 Posts: 94, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2009, 09:02 AM

Break ups are a time for "self evaluations"... sit back and look at yourself and how you are... what should you change about yourself? Is it realistic to change this or are you wanting to change it because the person you broke up with says you need to change it?. have a level head and honestly and wisely, self evaluate... accept and be self aware of your potential personality flaws and/or relationship downfalls..
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jan 12, 2009, 11:00 AM

I learned these things:

1. Your significant other doesn't have to be your whole life.

2. You don't have to take care of them, they can take care of themselves

3. If none of my family or friends like him, there proly is a reason for it.

4. Last but not least Don't ignore those glarring red flags!!!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 02:38 PM

I want to share a story with you all and then tell you what I learned. My most recent ex that used to work in my building and her company moved her down two blocks to another building. I hadn't seen her in a few months since this happened and last week she came over to our building to eat lunch with a friend. The picnic table and benches are right outside my office window. There is a place to sit that is out of my view, and I happened to turn in my chair to look out the window and she was leaning over looking in the window at me. The moment our eyes met she sat back down out of my viewpoint.

To answer the question, what I've learned is no matter how much pain you go through, I think if your good enough at some point they realize the mistake they made. For me, that's good enough to call it closed and move forward emotionally. But you don't have to get to points like this, just accept it as fact.
    ThatGuy2 Posts: 55, Reputation: 18

Jan 13, 2009, 12:34 AM

1. There is no such thing as meant to be, the one, true love, or soul mates. There is only the love that you work hard for with your significant other. That in itself, is real love.

2. Love does not simply fall into place, that is infatuation. Love takes hard work, and as soon as one fails to do so, it will crumble as a whole.

3. Communication and honesty are the key foundations to a loving relationship. Both must be present or all will fail.

4. If you are not focused on your significant other for companionship, you are cheating. If you feel the need to hide your conversations with another man from your partner, you are cheating.

5. When looking for a life partner, search for compatibility instead of acceptability

6. You can't try to change a person to someone you want, you must accept the person for who they are. You can only change yourself.

7. Aim to strive for a better you, but don't let another person change who you are.

8. NEVER EVER pressure or guilt your loved one into doing something they don't want to. Do not emotionally blackmail them by making them feel guilty.

9. Do not let your partner become like your mom. Some of them like to do that and it's up to you to know when the line is crossed.

10. Do not backtrack, keep pushing forward or you'll end up in a non productive circle. Accept the truth for what it is and stop giving yourself false hope. When the relationship has ended, you must not dwell in the past.

11. Having a sense of humor is a good thing in general and for a relationship. However, know when you are crossing the line between humor and insensitivity.

12. They might expect you to know what they are thinking without having to tell you, so keep this in mind and pay attention to what they say, their attitude and their actions.

13. When the times are tough, your family and friends are always there for you. Remember what they have done during the hard times and keep them in your heart always.

14. Do not build your life around the person you love and vice versa. Have them a part of your life but do not make them your life.

15. When you love and accept reality, you will be forced to move on without the bitterness within. Strive for this.

16. Take responsibility for your feelings and the actions you make.

17. If you know for sure that the relationship will be going no where, it's better to end it sooner than later.

18. Do not look for a rebound after a serious relationship has ended. It's unhealthy for you, unfair to the rebound, and disrespectful to the ex.

19. Cut all ties and avoid contact for your own sake. NC is the way to go after a break up.

20. Eat right, sleep well, and work out to get ripped after a break up. You will feel so much better about yourself and will take your shirt off at every given chance^^
    ThatGuy2 Posts: 55, Reputation: 18

Jan 13, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Double post due to lag sorry
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy2 View Post
    double post due to lag sorry
    Spelling error in rating! *there* It's late! Haha!
    Dare81 Posts: 264, Reputation: 44

Jan 13, 2009, 05:08 AM

I learned

Don't be reckless with other peoples heart and don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

No matter how hard you try you can't make someone love you, that has to come from them.

Make sure your partner doesn't become the sole reason for your existence

Things are not always as they seem.

Things can only get better when you are at your lowest point

The only person that makes a difference in your life is u
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 07:14 AM

I think the post from ThatGuy2, should be put into a sticky. Anyone else agree?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 07:15 AM

Yeah, I do. It is pretty profound. This entire thread is pretty good!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 07:20 AM

Rules to live by before a break-up! If everyone thought about these things ahead of time and followed them... well... the relationship forum would have fewer broken hearts!
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 07:22 AM

We need to have a before and after thread. The first post someone has, compared to their latest, just to show how far you actually come by coming to this website. I swear, it is better on here than any kind of pill or other form of therapy you could get...

It is amazing how much I have grown on here, and others as well. Just incredible progression from start to finish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The Devastating EFFECT of ACNE [ 3 Answers ]

I use maxipeel for exfoliation before but after 2 weeks , I started to have unstopable ACNE. What will I do now? I want to Remove all the acne/black spot brought by the DEVASTATING EFFECT OF MAXIPEEL. Now, I never realize why I come to this. The acne on my face lowers myself ESTEEM and it...

I'm just try to learn [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 5 ton unit but the got stuck and my budget can't afford to buy anather 1 so I find one very cheap and havet is a very expirenced ac thech and he told me I can make it wisrk with out any changes okey the one I got now is a5 ton with 10 seer and the coil is also a 10 seer the neww...

How to learn [ 7 Answers ]

I would say education is being valued today... however it's becoming one-sided. Most teachers and educators value the abstract subjects such as math and science and some would go as far as to say that the arts are counter-productive and unessential. Basically, math and science appeals to the left...

How will my dog learn to tell me she has to go out? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 3 month old female westie. We've had her for about 3 weeks. For 2 of those weeks, she has been on an antibiotic for a UTI. During that time, she has had numerous accidents in the house-understandably so-due to the nature of her illness. In the one good week we have had so far, she has...

View more questions Search