Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 10:16 PM
    What can make people be untrustworthy; little or big things?
    Urgical day: Saturday 31st in Ordinary Time

Today's Gospel (Lk 16:9-15): Jesus said to his disciples, «And so I tell you: use filthy money to make friends for yourselves, so that when it fails, these people may welcome you into the eternal homes. Whoever can be trusted in little things can also be trusted in great ones; whoever is dishonest in slight matters will also be dishonest in greater ones. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling filthy money, who could entrust you with true wealth? And if you have not been trustworthy with things which are not really yours, who will give you the wealth which is your own? No servant can serve two masters. Either he does not like the one and is fond of the other, or he regards one highly and the other with contempt. You cannot give yourself both to God and to Money».

The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and sneered at Jesus. He said to them, «You do your best to be considered righteous by people. But God knows the heart, and what rises high among humans is loathed by God».

:confused:What lessons do you see in this gospel lesson?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Nov 13, 2008, 04:30 PM

God sees our motivations for doing something. Even when what we do seems good to others, our heart may have ulterior motives, that really are only to benefit ourselves.
    The holy spirit will direct our actions, if we choose his will over our own. Even in the seemingly unimportant, or small matters, obeying god will lead to the discipline for more important deeds.
    We serve only one master when we reject our own will, and obey god.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Nov 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
    There is much in the original language which helps us to understand the lesson.

"Filty lucre" is really a poor translation. It says "of the mammon of unrighteousness" "Mammon" is a word used in the Bible only by Luke. There are riches "of righteousness" i.e.. From God to us. But the riches sought by the world are "of unrighteousness": riches considered by man to be the highest good. But they are false mammon... and will fail us in the end.

The lesson is "don't seek them as highest good nor trust them".

Paul says more of this matter when writing to Timothy:

1 Tim 6:17-19

17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
    NIV
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
    revdrgade
    Very good explanation.
    You used on of my favorite bible passages.
    I pray that God helps us all be "rich in good deeds."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 14, 2008, 10:44 AM

The Bible tells us to lay up treasure in Heaven, our treasures on Earth will rot or rust or get eaten by moths or stolen by thieves. We are told that when a man finds a pearl of great price, he will sell all he has and buy that one pearl, or if he finds a treasure hid in a field he will sell what he has and buy that field. Also where our treasure is, there the heart will be also. So we have to examine our hearts and see what our greatest treasures are, to be sure we are working toward the right prize. If we spend undue time laying up earthly stores of riches for ourselves, or say stepping on other people to climb up the ladder of success, we are showing that we can't be trusted with real riches by God.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
    wildandblue.
    Yes, very good.
    WORKING to lay up treasures in heaven is the way to go.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hearing people say things before they say it and a very bad vibe before a death. [ 3 Answers ]

When I was a slight bit younger, I used to hear someone I know say something, even though I was in an empty room with no one else in it. I think it was only when I was living in a certain house, my only memories of it happening is in that particular house, upstairs in particular, and only when I...

How can I make things better [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend now for just over 2 years, it was going fine at the beginning, but the at xmas he though I was cheating on him becaused he found some text messages from one of my friends on my phone. Ever since then things have been good and bad, for a couple of months we have been...

How can I make things better? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend but he is in jamaica I love him but we hardly talk and feel lonely. I stared talking to onther boy but we are just friends and we like each other but I still love my boyfriend.What should I do, I don't want to cheat on him because you really love him. I need you advice.

I don't know what to do to make things better [ 2 Answers ]

To start, I'm relatively young. You'll probably need some background on myself. I was a very bad child. I jumped into life head first. The guy I'm currently talking to has been in my life since the first day I met him. He changed my life entirely. I really messed things up and it seems to be the...

How can I make things work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, well my girlfriend of 6 months broke up with me about 3 months ago because her grandma who she lived with for 14 years died and now she lives with nieghbors. The reason why she broke up with me is because when her gma was in the hospital and she never called like she always does barely called...

View more questions Search