Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    links_slayer Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Toilet Flapper
    First, thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice I have received in this forum. Seriously, it's GREAT! I've been lurking for quite some time but have finally found the need to post with a question.

About 2 weeks ago my wife and I noticed the toilet in our basement was "running" intermittently. It's a relatively new (<5 years old) toilet and I decided to replace the flapper. The problem stopped. Yay.

However, this caused a new problem:

I push the handle to flush.
    Water swirls around the toilet and empties out of the bowl and does the gurgle thing.
    Water starts to fill up in the bowl.
    But then it empties out of the bowl and gurgles again.
    Lather, rinse, repeat for a total of 3 gurgles.

It seems like this is wasting a lot of water (?).

I removed the lid to see what was going on and the flapper is not shutting when it should. It hinges just fine. There doesn't seems to be an extraordinary amount of friction or whatever on the hinges that would make it stay up. I've tried adjusting the length of the chain (everywhere from ZERO slack to as much slack as I can have and still have it flush) and nothing seems to help.

It's a Kohler toilet and the replacement flapper is not a Kohler. Is this a problem? Can anyone offer any advice on a) how to fix this and b) more importantly what is causing this? I'm the quintessential "un-handy" man but I do like to learn.

You have my most appreciative thanks in advance,

Josh
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 04:20 PM

Sounds like you have the pull chain too tight. Try adding one or two links to the chain until you get the right action.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Hi Links slayer...

450donn... links slayer already adjusted the chain from zero slack to max. slack so chain adjustment probably won't help here...

Links... I'm wondering if your flapper came with a round rubber connector between the flapper ears. The connector would slide down over the overflow tube and then the arms of flapper would hook onto the flush valve assembly..?

See my picture below. If your flapper came with a connector as shown in my picture then you need to CUT the round part OFF the flapper (see my picture).

Once this is cut out of the picture the flapper should seal better.

Otherwise, go to a local plumbing supply house and find a KOHLER flapper for your toilet....universal flappers don't work too great very often... ;)

Let me know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 05:16 PM

Is the flapper one of those adjustable flappers by any chance? Never used one but they have some kind of adjustment by which you adjust how long it stays open.

Nov 7, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Thank you for the speedy responses! :)

Yes, I've tried adjusting the slack in the chain. I thought this was the culprit at first but it appears not to be the case.

The flapper did not have a connector that needs to be cut out; it only has the "clips" where it attaches to the "pins" on the bottom of the overflow tube. Sorry for using what more than likely are incorrect terms.

I've thought about it a bit and wondered if adding some weight (washers) might help the flapper close when it's supposed to.

Otherwise I think I better get a Kohler replacement as mentioned. The guy at Home Depot said the one we got would "probably work" but he also said the same thing about universal flappers, especially with Kohler toilets.:rolleyes:
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Hey Links...

Yup... even the replacement flapper for kohler toilets at home depot don't always work... ;)

Try replacing with correct kohler flapper as mentioned earlier. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks...

MARK
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2008, 06:30 PM

It is possible thaat the problem is not the flapper at all.
    I will explain another possibility if your commode is like I suspect:
    You have an overflow that has a small plastic tube sticking down inside of it, this is to replace the water in the bowl to a proper level. This small tube should only be sticking down into the larger tube about 3/4 of an inch, this should be above the water level of the water in the tank when it is full. If the small tube sticks further into the bigger tube than the water level, it will set up a syphoning action each time it is flushed, the water level in the tank will fall, the float then will call for more water to refill the tank. If this is the problem it will occur over and over. Also if this is the problem I would like it if you told me about it.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 06:53 PM

Can you describe the difference between the orininal flapper and the new one. Did the original one have a little float attatched to the pull chain. If you replaced the original flapper with a universal, you may be able to lower your water lever by adjusting your fill valve float, adjust it just enough, so that you get one strong flush, and then your flapper seats before giving you another flush.

Nov 8, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    It is possible thaat the problem is not the flapper at all.
    I will explain another possibility if your commode is like I suspect:
    You have an overflow that has a small plastic tube sticking down inside of it, this is to replace the water in the bowl to a propper level. This small tube should only be sticking down into the larger tube about 3/4 of an inch, this should be above the water level of the water in the tank when it is full. If the small tube sticks further into the bigger tube than the water level, it will set up a syphoning action each time it is flushed, the water level in the tank will fall, the float then will call for more water to refill the tank. If this is the problem it will occur over and over. Also if this is the problem I would like it if you told me about it.
    I just checked the toilet. The small tube going into the overflow tube is not below the water level in the tank (it's only about 1/2 into the overflow tube.

Nov 8, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    can you describe the difference between the orininal flapper and the new one. Did the original one have a little float attatched to the pull chain. if you replaced the original flapper with a universal, you may be able to lower your water lever by adjusting your fill valve float, adjust it just enough, so that you get one strong flush, and then your flapper seats before giving you another flush.
    The original flapper did have a float attached to the chain as you described. The replacement does not; it only has a chain. I have also tried adjusting the water level by adjusting the fill valve float to a bunch of different positions with no luck.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2008, 05:58 AM
    As Mark suggested. Replace with the original Kohler Flapper,(see image).
    Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 04:34 PM

When you replace with original style, make sure to set your water level back to original setting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flapper ! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay... my father decided to fix the toilets one day for a variety of reasons I won't go into right now... BUT ever since THEY HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT!! Wish he'd leave my HOUSE ALONE!! Anyway, I digress... The FLAPPER on the 2 toilets aren't working properly. When you flush they stay up for just about...

Toilet Flapper [ 12 Answers ]

The toilet flapper closer too soon (as soon as you release the lever). It is a new flapper; any suggestions?

Flapper refuses to go down in toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed my flapper in my toilet and it was working over the last couple of days. When I went to use it this morning, I noticed the flapper was not going down. In other words, it was not returning to the seat. It remained up. I loosened the chain and tightend the chain. Can...

Toilet flapper sticks [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced flapper because toilet ran constantly with a small leak. It worked beautifully for a couple of months, but now the flapper sticks in the up position so it is running again for a different reason. Please help! :confused:

Toilet Flapper Won't Drop [ 2 Answers ]

When flushed, my toilet flapper immediately raises to a 45 degree angle, but then it will not drop completely unless the handle outside the tank is pulled up (jiggling does not solve it). It drops partially, but then the chain is tight and it is does not drop further. Once you pull up the handle,...

View more questions Search