Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usocman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Three-Way Switches
    I currently have a three-way switch controlling 2 sets of outside flood lights. I want to add a third set of outside flood lights. What is the easiest way to wire this third set? Do I need three conductor wire going to this light fixture?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Nov 7, 2008, 11:09 AM
    How far are you installing the 3rd set from the others? Can you not just tap into one of the other lights and run to the 3rd set of lights? That way you can keep everything as it is.

Nov 7, 2008, 02:50 PM
    I thought about tapping in to one of the other lights and I believe I can. I already ran 12/2 w/grd to the light but was hoping I didn't need 3 conductors going to the light.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 04:51 PM

What do you mean, you have already run 12-2? From where to where? You only need 12-2 from light to light. If you are fortunate enough to be wired as shown below, you can run 12-2 from one of the switches as shown but only from that switch.
    Attached Images

Nov 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Thanks HK. I already ran 12/2 to the new light and didn't know where I had to tie it in but your drawing explains it all. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wiring my basement and have two three-way switches in a two gang box. The left switch (S1) and another 3-way control four recessed lights. I want the switch on the right of the box (S2) to control another set of recessed lights. I want to power S2 using jumpers from S1. Is this possible? If...

Hot Switches [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I've recently purchased a warehouse formerly inhabited by a carpenter. He installed what initially appeared to be a functional electrical system with a well-labelled breaker box. At some point, I noticed a hot dimmer switch and quickly realized that all the overhead dimmer switches heat...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search