Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Getting baby to drink out of a sippy cup.
    I have 9 month old twin girls and I am having the hardest time trying to get them to drink out of a sippy cup. The doctor says no juice or water out of a bottle only a sippy cup, well I have tried almost every sippy cup out there and every time I give it to them they get upset because instead of sucking on it to get the juice out they just bite and don't understand that if they suck on it juice will come out. What do I do?
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Weaning off bottles and pacifiers
    I know its still a little early, but I would like my daughters to be totally off the bottle by 1. They are 9 months old right now and refuse to drink out of a sippy cup because they don't understand that they need to suck on it. They bite on it instead. How do I wean them off the bottle eventually. Also I am wanting to know how I get them off the pacifier?
    butterfly_jac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Hi Mommy of Twins,
    I know you posted this question back in November, but I too am having this problem with my daughter who is almost 1, she won't suck! I found a nuby sippy cup that she bites to get liquid, but also makes a big mess since the liquid spills down her chin onto her clothes. She has been doing this for months now and I thought she would grow out of it.
    I keep trying other cups but no such luck. How did you get your girls to suck out of a cup? I hope you found a good method! Thanks.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 05:52 PM

We started our daughter on a bottle that had a nipple, but looked like a sippy cup with handles and all. It was less of a transition for her.
    alhacoju4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 09:52 AM
    My twins didn't get the hang of sippy cub until they were at least a year old. I gave them water and juice out of a bottle and nothing bad happened to them. :)
    angelgurlama Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 10:42 PM

My son is about to be 10 months old. He is doing very well with sippy cups. I used the playtex ones with the tops that looked almost like the nipples to bottles. He associated the two, and learned that if he sucks on the thing with handles, he gets juice. Eventually they learn to transition to the smaller sippy cups. Also, you can try to put some formula/milk into the sippy cups as well so that they learn that something yummy is coming when they see the sippy cup
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:10 PM

Hello ladies :D

If the supply cup is the way you wish to go, the only answer is to get a supply cup, and ONLY offer that. Nothing else. It can take up to a few days. But if you offer NOTHING but the supply cup they will accept it.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

May 5, 2009, 09:09 PM
    If they haven't learned to tip the cup up yet, then it is too early. If they have, take out the spill proof valve from the lid of the cup. This way, liquid will flow out of it easily into their mouths when they tip the cup up. Eventually they will figure out how to drink out of the spout. Then when they are a little older and toddling around with the cups, you can put the spill valve back in. They'll be old enough then to know that stuff is in there, and it will come out, and they'll suck on it. By 9 mo, they should only be having maybe 2 bottles a day if you want to have then off them by 1 yr. Put their formula in the cup once they get the hang of it.
    parentsof2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
    My first son refused a sippy cup until he was 10 months old... when he was 10 months he grabbed a sippy cup out of the diaper bag and wanted it... it was time for bed so we gave him his bottle but the next day gave him his sippy and that was the last day for a bottle... he never wanted a bottle again.
    Our youngest son is now 9 months old and has been refusing one. What you can do is take the suction out for a little while (watch it , because it pours out) but it shows the baby there is something in it... offer it a few times before you put the suction back in and they should try to suck knowing what it is... it's hard on kids to go from bottles with soft spouts to sippy cups with hard ones... hope this helps.. we do not offer a bottle past the first birthday.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 22, 2010, 11:09 PM

When I first got sippy cups I realised part of the problem was that the drink simply came out too fast. I heated the spouts over the gas flame to melt the plastic together so that there was only one hole instead of a few, making sure everything was clean and hygenic. Then as they got more used to it I used a hot sterilised needle to reopen more holes gradually. They got on fine that way.

I will add that this was a long time ago as my kids are 21 and 23 now so honestly don't know if it will work with cups now as they are possibly made differently. Also mine never had bottles but went straight from breast to cup so it might be different if they are used to bottle teats. Thought I'd mention it though in case it helps.
    Lee-AnneLe5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 06:14 PM

I also found that the sippy cup was too fast for my son. He did however take to a sippy type cup with a straw. The transition from bottle to straw seemed very easy. I hope this helps.
    All the best,
    Lee-Anne
    Life lessons from a 3 and 1 year old

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

Dog won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

My two year old Fox terrier refuses to eat or drink. I took him to the vet yesterday and had xray's and bloodwork done on him to check for a vuirus or blockage in his stomach, but both came back as negative. However, he still refuses to eat or drink. He remains active and energetic. Any ideas,...

I don't owe anything for this drink [ 1 Answers ]

I don't owe anything for this drink The bartender asks the guy sitting at the bar, "What'll you have?" The guy answers, "A scotch, please." The bartender hands him the drink, and says "That'll be five dollars," to which the guy replies, "What are you talking about? I don't owe you anything for...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

View more questions Search