Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Sound problems on TV with DVD player through HDMI
    I bought an LCD TV about 7 months ago, and followed suit with an HDMI upconvert DVD player about 2 months later. My problem is that I try to play DVDs using my DVD player I either get no sound coming from my TV or its very low and distorted. There seems to be a temporary fix, either pulling out the HDMI cable and replacing it while both units are turned on, or sometimes changing the HD resolution setting (720p,1080i) on my DVD player also fixes the audio temporarily.

For awhile now I just bypassed the TV and had my DVD player audio run through my shelftop stereo system via RCA cables. Works fine that way but why should I have to have it set up that way when HDMI is supposed to carry full digital A/V signals?

I tried many settings between my TV and DVD player. My TV doesn't really have any options regarding HDMI to fool around with so there isn't much I can do with that. My DVD player gives options like DRC (On or Off), Down sampling (On or Off), Dolby Digital (PCM or Bitstream) and an option to turn HDMI audio on or off. I pretty much tried to fool around with all of these options with the same results.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning is the HDMI cable I have. I only have 1 right now so I can't test it to see if it just the cable or not. My cable wasn't very expensive and is a Belkin brand cable. Belkin cables are usually very high quality, regardless of price so I figured I would buy the one I did. They only cost me about $10 at the time. Compare that to the price of other HDMI cables... It's easy to see why I bought the one I did.

Anyway, I've always wanted to find help with this problem but right now the only reason I am doing so now is because I am buying a PS3 soon and I want to make sure I can use HDMI with it without any problems. I'm also getting a new HDMI cable soon too (Should be receiving it in a few days) so I should be able to find out then if it is the cable or not.

Hopefully this problem can get fixed... Here is my TV and DVD player models as well as the HDMI cable I am using. (Tested links at time of posting and they work OK.)

Any help I can get on this problem would be appreciated.

Westing house 26" LCD TV SK-26H520S

Sylvania Upconvert HDMI DVD player

Belkin HDMI Cable

Check out some similar questions!

Ybpr cables or dvi to hdmi? Or hdmI? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is best, and I would like to know why? I find the more expensive dvi to hdmi is not as high of a quality of 3dimension on my LCD TV from my HD cable box? The picture is clearer but the characters do not jump out the same as when I am using ybpr.

TV has no sound after I hooked up a DVD player to it. [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to hook up a DVD player to my Zenith TV and it didn't work. Now my TV has no sound. I moved the interior and exterior switch on the back of the TV and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Windows media player won't play video, only sound. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I fix media player to play video and sound, how do you know which codec is correct

Does he sound like a player? Will I get hurt and used? [ 11 Answers ]

I like a guy, we have been textin for like 9 months now and within the 9 months he has asked me out, but I wasn't ready so I said no, but he still carried on texting and his texts are always flirty, he always calls me babe, or princess or sexy or beautiful or anything really. I really like him now,...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.