Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OSR_9103 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I have seen a lot of postings regarding the loss of hot water in the shower, but there is also mention about how there is also a loss of pressure, and I haven't experienced this. The shower is a stand alone shower with a single handle that turns counter clockwise from cold to hot. It's a Sterling brand faucet. The problem I have was that the water goes from HOT HOT HOT (too hot to get into the shower and use) and within a minute it starts getting cooler until it eventually goes cold and stays that way, no matter whether I turn the dial to hot or not, the water is still cold and the pressure does not change. The only way to turn off the water is to shut the water off in the house. (Just to note there is not a hot water issue as I the sink runs hot even when the shower doesn't).

Also when I took off the cap of the faucet there are two screws that need to be removed however one of them has rusted off, so I was told I would need to drill in order to get them out. I would like to try and solve this myself but I should say I am a beginner, but I am a quick study. I have gotten loads of library books in my attempts at understanding this problem and my hopes at fixing it as well as doing plenty of internet research. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to add that I have used this shower for the past few years with no problem until recently. Thanks again in advance!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 08:19 PM

It would really help if you post the brand of the faucet, photo, or / and your location. Otherwise, there way too much guessing...

Anyways:

You have pressure balanced, temperature controlled valve. There is a pressure / temperature balancing device inside the faucet. It may be a piston, ball, or spring loaded small rod. That device moves from hot to cold, and vice versa, balancing the mixture of h/c water. What is happening is that that device is probably not sliding freely, is calcified or has some kind of debris in it, and as a result, it becomes stuck in one position. You have to open the faucet, remove the cartridge and most likely replace it with new one.

Also, and it addition to the above, you may have stripped handle that doesn't allow you to turn stem around to close water.
    OSR_9103 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    It would really help if you post the brand of the faucet, photo, or / and your location. Otherwise, there way too much guessing .....

Anyways:

You have pressure balanced, temperature controlled valve. There is a pressure / temperature balancing device inside the faucet. It may be a piston, ball, or spring loaded small rod. That device moves from hot to cold, and vice versa, balancing the mixture of h/c water. What is happening is that that device is probably not sliding freely, is calcified or has some kind of debris in it, and as a result, it becomes stuck in one position. You have to open the faucet, remove the cartridge and most likely replace it with new one.

Also, and it addition to the above, you may have stripped handle that doesn't allow you to turn stem around to close water.
    I stated in my original post the brand is Sterling, as that is the name that appears on the plate of the single handle faucet. I don't know if that is what you meant, but that is the name on the shower faucet and all my sink faucets too. My townhouse is about 14/15 years old, so maybe Sterling went out of business, I don't know. I don't know how to insert an image considering I don't have a place to post a pic. I could email you one but I am new to this site and not sure how that works.

I don't know how to get beyond the escutcheon considering the screws off since they have rusted away.
    Wolfwerx Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Click the "Go Advanced" button under the message window. Then, to attach an image, click the "paperclip" button up top of the message window [see image below]. Then follow directions.

Good luck! I'm struggling with similar shower issues, can't find a brand nor numbers, & my camera's down. "This too shall pass..."

~ W ~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How fix low cold water pressure in shower? [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water pressure is fine in both showers. The cold water pressure is fine in one shower, but in the other, the amount of cold water has gradually gotten to be less and less. Now it is barely a trickle. My plumber says he would have to tear out a wall to fix it. Is there any other solution?

No Cold Water Pressure - Hot Water works Great.Shower [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a fairly old house. In my downstairs shower I get great hot water pressure, but no cold water pressure. I have two handles, one for cold and hot. Any suggestions on how I might fix the problem? House gets water from the city. Not sure on the make/brand of the faucets but they are...

Low cold water pressure on shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Mixet shower faucet (MDXTR-5). In the last several months, the cold side of the faucet has been having a very low water pressure. The hot side has a good pressure. The house is 11 years old, and I've lived there just for a year, so I don't know for sure how old the faucet is. I found...

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

View more questions Search