Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozy2451 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Grown son won't move out
    I allowed my son to stay with me for what was supposed to be no more than two weeks back in May. It's almost November and he's still here. My wife and I lease the house - we leased the property in Octover 2007 and my son was living elsewhere then. We have talked to my son about moving several times and he makes promises but does nothing to go forward with moving out. We live in Missouri. I believe that after a person stays in a residence for more than three days in Missouri you have to evict them but how can I evict? I don't own the property. I'm afraid the landlord will try and evict all of us if I bring her into the picture. What is the proper procedure? Thank you.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 30, 2008, 09:15 PM

Stop cooking with cheese!

YouTube - Stop cooking with cheese!!! Hillbillies :P

YouTube - Stop Cooking With Cheese ( improved version)
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozy2451 View Post
    I allowed my son to stay with me for what was supposed to be no more than two weeks back in May. It's almost November and he's still here. My wife and I lease the house - we leased the property in Octover 2007 and my son was living elsewhere then. We have talked to my son about moving several times and he makes promises but does nothing to go forward with moving out. We live in Missouri. I believe that after a person stays in a residence for more than three days in Missouri you have to evict them but how can I evict? I don't own the property. I'm afraid the landlord will try and evict all of us if I bring her into the picture. What is the proper procedure? Thank you.
    This has created a situation which would VERY likely be viewed by the court as him subleasing from you. So you are his landlord in this situation.

First, I would recommend that you read your state's landlord / tenant laws. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link for each state. You need to make sure that anything you do follows those laws.

Was there ever a payment agreement between the two of you? And if so, has he followed it?

There are basically 2 ways to go about it. You can simply give him the proper notice to terminate his "periodic tenancy" (month-to-month). Typically this would be about a 30 day notice (does vary some by location). Then if he doesn't move out within that time you'd file for an unlawful detainer eviction.

Or, if you had a payment agreement and he hasn't paid you cangive him a "pay or quit" notice (usually anywhere from 3 to 10 days). Then if he doesn't leave within that time you go file an eviction suit. Can he pay? I ask because in some places if you start this procedure and the tenant offers payment you basically have to take it. Then it starts the whole cycle over again.

You know your son - we don't. What will work on him? Will it intimidate or bother him if he gets served papers by the court? Is he just lazy? Is he on drugs? Are you just making it too comfortable for him there (feeding him, cleaning for him, allowing him hot water and heat? Does he have a TV to watch? Using your telephone?)

Oh yeah, stop communitcatin with him verbally and do everything in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full Grown Men.What do you think? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There: A new movie is releasing on June 25th called "Full Grown Men". It's a 2007 undiscovered Gems award winning film sponsored by Sundance Channel distributed by Emerging Pictures. Release at Cinema Village New York. I watched the trailer and liked it. What do you think?

Where do grown-ups go on a date? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I'm just getting back into the dating thing and I'm 53! I have a date Sat and he said what do you want to do? Ok - we can go out to eat of course, then what? Movie or bar or where? I'll most likely go to sleep in a movie and we can't talk and get to know each other. I'll go to a bar, but...

My grown son who can't stand me. [ 9 Answers ]

Deleted

Grown daughter [ 31 Answers ]

I have a grown married daughter who left the country 2 years ago. She seems to have become very distant since she and her husband started their family. Our telephone conversations are fine, but our visits are stressful. I think she feels that she has to prove to her husband that she is strong and...

When is he fully grown? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a boston terrier puppy. He is a little over 4 months old now. I am just trying to figure out when he will stop growing. I have heard with puppies you can take their weight at 3 months and double it. But I am just wondering when he will be fully grown. TIA!!

View more questions Search