Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lewbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Toilet tank fill
    After flushing, the toilet goes silent for about 15 seconds and then the tank starts refilling. What may be causing this? Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 02:35 PM

I would guess the valve that the float arm pushes in is hanging, then slowly releasing.
    You could remove tank top(not yours mam/sir?), flush toilet, then lift arm and look at where float arm contacts valve immediately after lifting arm, could do with water turned off, so you can lift from full down position.
    A lubricant may fix.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:51 PM

Please lift the tank lid look inside and tell us which type is you fill valve, see the images, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

lewbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Please lift the tank lid look inside and tell us which type is you fill valve, see the images, Thanks.

John
    Mine is the one on the left. Thanks (in advance).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Your float can's hanging up on the valve body. Shut the water off under the tank and flush and drain the tank. Wipe down the valve body and take and lube the valve body with some Plumbers Grease or Vaseline. Turn the water back on and give it a flush. Better now? Good luck and thanks for rating my reply, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 09:19 AM

Hi lewbie,

Tom is correct fallow his instructions if that would not help then it is time to change the fill valve (fluidmaster) is not expensive will cost you $10.0, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet Bowl/Tank Fill [ 2 Answers ]

When we flush our toilet once the tank fills as does the bowl and we have an incomplete flush. The second flush fills the tank and empties the bowl completely, and the bowl does not refill, but the flush is complete. We have plunged, used unclogging chemicals, scraped rim feed holes, checked that...

Toilet tank doesn't fill all the way to top [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first question. Thanks in advance. We have a 3 year old house. One of our toilets has a problem. When it is flushed, it flushes everything down. The problem is when the tank is filling back up. It continues to run and run without shutting off until the lever is pulled up manually....

Toilet tank doesn't fill up all the way [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet tank does not fill up to it's capacity, which does not flush all the waste down. Have to flush two and three times before it's gone. Please help, I'm wasting gals. Of water all day every day

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

View more questions Search