Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanneluc Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 06:40 AM
    No room in panel
    Hi everyone...

Can someone tell me if there is a way I can fit a 20 amp breaker in my panel that is now full... It is a 100 amp service. What would be the most cost efficient way to do this... the 20 amp breaker is for a dedicated 12/2 feeding the washer.

Thanks

Luc
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:04 AM
    What is the make and model number for your panelboard?

Most, if not all, manufacturers make tandem or half size breakers that can allow one two circuit breaker take the place of a one circuit full size breaker.

The label on the panel cover will list the breakers the panel can accept.

Oct 28, 2008, 10:10 AM

Thank you... I'll check to see if I can remove some full size to replace with halfs...

Luc
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:12 AM
    OK, be sure to use the same brand of breakers.

AND:

One extreme caution, if any circuit you a half size breaker with is one of two circuits that share a neutral, you must be careful to not have both circuits on the same phase or leg in the panel.

Oct 28, 2008, 10:50 AM

CAn you explain both circuit on same phase? Not sure what that means.

Luc
    aroslinger1 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Can you use a tandem or twin breaker?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical sub panel in an adjoining room [ 10 Answers ]

I am planning on installing a sub panel in an adjoining room for a wood shop. I am planning on feeding the sub panel with a 100A breaker from my main panel. A friend told me that because the sub panel is in another room "out of sight" of the main panel it is required that another 100A "main"breaker...

Wire type for a sub-panel to be installed in utility room in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a sub-panel in the basement, in our utility room. I am planning to install a 70A dual pole fuse in the main panel to feed the sub-panel. My main is 200A service, with single phase, residential, single family home. My load calculations is under 100A for the main. My new...

Need a 20Amp Circuit but no room in the panel [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I need to run a dedicated 20AMP circuit for my over the range microwave but have a problem. There is no room in the box to add another breaker. On top of it, all of the single pole breaker are already doubled up. Can anyone help me figure out how to squeeze one more run in here? ...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Can we put the Service Panel in Laundry Room? [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house with aluminum wiring, nothing is up to code (old house), so we are rewiring the whole house. We plan to construct a laundry room in the center of the house and we would like to locate the new service panel there, as there is no other obvious place to put it. Apart from...

View more questions Search