Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbgrace94 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Dying Relative Wants His House Put in the Name of My Husband
    My father-in-law is dying of cancer and he wants my husbands name put on his house. Is there a way to do that legally? The house is not paid for. If he was to make a will out that stated my husband was to get the house when he died would that work?

Please reply and thanks.
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Oct 21, 2008, 12:57 PM

Contact and PAY for a GOOD lawyer immediately. IF your father-in-law is bombarded with thousands of dollars worth of debt, your husband may be held responsible. If there are other children (spouse's siblings) the house and contents ("estate") need to be split evenly and fairly between all partys. If there is NO current will, and your father-in-law is debt-free and has LOTS of money, the government could potentially get ALL the estate. Seriously - there are too many factors. Don't take it on yourself, get a professional REPUTABLE lawyer. Even if it costs $2000, pay for a lawyer! Start reading up and doing some research. Figure out ahead of time, what questions you need answered and be prepared to ask them once you meet with the lawyer.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 11:32 PM

Greetings and WELCOME to the site, sbgrace94!

I re-titiled, edited your post just a bit and moved it to this topic area so that it would get better exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is only for people to introduce themselves, and it wouldn't have gotten very good exposure by remaining in that area.

I'm sorry about your father-in-law! I hope that he is not suffering very much!

You have already received one answer to your question. I'm sure that there will be others now.

Thanks, and I hope and pray for only the best for you and yours!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying husband and his family doesn't seem to care unless its convenient! [ 27 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first time posting here. I am looking for some opinions from people other than family members regarding this situation: My husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer 3 years ago and was not given long to live. At that time, his family called, sent cards but nothing more than...

Need to get Husband out of house [ 3 Answers ]

I want to separate and file for divorce from my husband. I have told him repeatedly that I am done with him and don't want him around. His response is that I'm just being silly and everyone has their problems. He has been abusive in the past and I'm a little intimidated to push the issue. We...

My Husband is Dying [ 42 Answers ]

My Husband is Dying and I feel so alone. I have a handicap sister also which I take care of. My brother is trying to help. I want to say thanks. But I will cry too much because I will have to say it out loud. I have tried to tell my daughter. She thinks he will be here for a few years and I am...

I'm dying & My boyfriend wants name on my house. Why? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I own my own home and my boyfriend of 5 years wants to move in but says he won't until his name is on the mortgage. I have all ready given him the home in my will, but that's not what he wants. He wants his name on it now, so he feels "secure". I don't understand. I have a zero interest...

Ex-husband going bankrupt - get my house? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is thinking of going bankrupt. We have been legally separated for over 5 years (but not legally divorced - I am in the process of doing that). When we separated I bought him out of our family home. The deed to the house is in my name only. Can my ex-husband's creditors go after my...

View more questions Search