Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathy888 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 12:18 AM
    How to feed a sick but aggressive dog?
    My little 8-month-old Miniature Pinscher mix was diagnosed with CPV-2b. I found out online that he can be cured but he must eat and get regular shots. The main problem my family is having now is feeding him. We cannot afford to leave him in the clinic with an IV.

Every time we try to feed him, he bites our hand (very painfully). We have even tried out a homemade muzzle (which he successfully pulls off).

So what do we do now? My dad suggests we abandon him. I told him it was cruel. I thought my two options are:-
    1. Put him down
    2. Leave the food and water around until he eats and drinks by himself

PS: I have only seen him lap a little bit of water in 2 days
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 03:49 AM

Abandoning the pup is out of the question because he is highly contageous to other dogs right now and will be for some time. A cruel option anyway, but I understand your worry. I guess you are left with your other two options. Leave the food down and wait and see. I know of a few cases where the dog has survived, but they were older dogs with stronger immune systems.

I would also ask myself where the pup contracted the parvo. He would have had to have been near another dog with parvo, near feces from a dog with parvo, drank out of a bowl etc. etc. If you know if this happened I would alert the people with the dog because it is a carrier.

Good luck,

Oct 22, 2008, 01:16 AM
    Oh well. I've seen him jump around and being alil playful again... Is that improvement?
    Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 03:40 AM

Sick pups don't jump around and play, so you may be lucky and he is on the road to recovery. Just be careful, parvo, anything connected to it, is contagious.Check with the vet on how to clean and what to clean with. And like, I said, you should look around and see what he may have got it from.

Oct 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
    We can't afford to see the vet. Anyway, my sister says we must wash the poo with klorox.

Recently, the dog started eating more and being more mischievous. His faeces isn't bloody anymore. It's sticky and yellow-brown.

Cured? On the way? False Alarm?
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 03:39 AM

Cured ? On the way? False alarm? Who knows Kathy. Clorox is correct and diligence with it.
    Agent706 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2008, 02:05 PM

Sounds like he's definitely improving. My Golden had parvo as a pup and he had to have IV fluids because he wouldn't eat or drink anything. Is the aggressiveness new or is that the dog's normal disposition? Have you tried getting some snake handling gloves? They'll prevent teeth punctures. If the aggressive behavior is normal for your dog I would seriously consider training. Even a little dog can do a lot of damage. Good luck to your pup and hope for full recovery!
    Agent706 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Oh, forgot to metion that parvo can survive on inanimate objects, the ground, etc. for years so there is no telling where it came from. While bleach will help, it is a truly difficult virus to be rid of.

Oct 24, 2008, 05:37 PM
    My dog is better now... MUCH BETTER! Surprisingly he didn't get any those Parvaid or Pedialyte (which are hard to obtain in Malaysia). Jumping around, teasing me, eating... But I guess I won't know if he's recovered...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 2nd sub panel be feed from same feed as first? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 200A main box out on a pole in the yard. I trenched and ran 4/0 aluminum to fee the subpanel on the house. Sadly I installed a smallish box and now I am out of breaker slots (too many 240's... ) Can I tap off the feed from the main box and run it to another subpanel or do I have to install...

How to feed a sick dog with no appetite? [ 10 Answers ]

My poor Rosie was just released from the hospital suffering from HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) that we all suspect was brought on by Rimadyl that was prescribed for her arthritis. It came on so suddenly that I had to rush her to the hospital. She's home now, weak, on medication and...

Aggressive tom [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my 5 year old neutered cat. He was hand reared from a few days old. He is very loving and friendly for a short time then he growls and bites me. He is also very aggressive towards strangers. Any advice welcome

My dog is aggressive [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is aggressive towards children, how do I stop him?:confused:

Very Aggressive Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: :confused: On June 2, 2006, I and my wife purchased (Gizmo/He) a German Sheppard from a Dog obedience Training Facility. The dog was trained for protection for another family and after they had the dog for about 2 or 3 months the dog had bitten one of their kid's friends. They return the...

View more questions Search