Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fungirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Sore breasts, pregnancy or period
    I've had sore breasts now for over 2 weeks... usually they're sore about a week before my period, and it's not due for about 4 or 5 days. My boyfriend and I have been trying to get pregnant, so pregnancy is definitely possible... any thoughts? Thanks
    amanda-kym Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Oct 15, 2008, 12:42 PM

It really could be either. I have been pregnant twice and the symptons of pregnancy are very similar to those of your period. You can get pregnancy tests that detect the hormone a few days before your period is due if u really want to know soon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Unfortunately, premenstrual symptoms and pregnancy symptoms are VERY common and can indeed mirror each other.

While some HPTs do work earlier than the missed period, the chance of false negatives is much higher as the concentration of hCG (pregnancy hormone) is at a very low level prior to missing that period. It is always best to wait it out until the period is late.

Oct 15, 2008, 12:59 PM

I took a test last night, and it was negative, but my period isn't due until 5 days. Usually my breasts get a little sore only a week before my period, but they've been sore for over 2 weeks.
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 01:08 PM
    It's better to take the test using first morning urine. You see, the urine is more concentrated with the pregnancy hormone in the morning, as throughout the day, you urinate, eat and drink, which dilutes the hormone to levels that may be undetectable.

Oct 15, 2008, 01:20 PM

I thought 2-3 weeks seemed a little long for my breasts to be sore from my period. In your opinion, being a nurse, does that seem a little long to you? Thanks
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 01:22 PM
    You could be experiencing a slight hormonal imbalance this month that might cause it. Yes, it does sound a little too long to be experiencing this, but then again, mother nature tends to throw us a curve ball every once in a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore breasts/pregnancy? [ 18 Answers ]

I have been having extremely sore breasts and swollen nipples for about a week now. I usually get tender breasts about 5 days before my period but never this early or this severe. Also, my friend told me to pull gentley on the nipple and look for fluid, when I did, a little bit of clear fluid...

6 weeks : no period or sore breasts [ 5 Answers ]

I had an abortion on February 23 and I was supposed to wait 2-3 weeks before having intercourse. My b/f and I had sex around the 2nd week in march, I haven't had a period since the first the first time I was pregnant and that was in January. I know I'm pregnant about 6 weeks but I don't have any...

My period is 10 days late, cramping, sore breasts, Am I pregnant? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 22 years old, engaged and LATE! It's been 10 days since I should have started. I've been having cramps like I'm going to start and nothing. My breasts are sore as well, like they usually are before my period. When I use the bathroom I have clear watery discharge... It feels like my period...

Missed period, tender breasts, but negative pregnancy test [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year. Well I missed my period for this month of September and I started getting tender breasts, they are also feeling swollen, and morning sickness, but mostly I have been getting sick at night time. When I took a pregnancy it came...

Sore breasts, no period, negative tests [ 7 Answers ]

I have had two miscarriages since January. My cycle is not very regular. I had one May 11, miscarriage, cycle on June 15, cycle on July 14. No cycle yet, tested on Aug. 13 got a negative. I am so hoping that we are pregnant. We got married in November and my husband has no biological children.

View more questions Search