Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rosie1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I need to fix or repair my Windows INSTALLER how do I do that?
    My computer for some reason will not install new software either from the internet nor from Disks. I receive this message when I try to install new software:

Warning! Windows installer is currently running please allow it to complete and then try again.

What does this mean?? Is it something to do with my Internet explorer?

How do I fix it?? My system is Microsoft Windows XP 2002.

I would appreciate any help!!

Thanks,
    Rosie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2008, 10:09 AM

Have you tried rebooting? If that hasn't helped, Open Task Manager and look for Windows installer either as an application or a process and select it then choose End Task or end process.

Then try installing.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 04:33 PM

Go to start, run and type services.msc hit enter

Go dowdn list till you see windows installer and right click on it and click properties

In the dropdown box there, set it to automatic and then on the left, click Start - Now click apply at the bottom and then the service will be running and try to install something from there

Post back
    tracer357 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2008, 11:34 PM

Also try this:
    Start, run, type in "msconfig".
    A window will come up with tabs at the top click on the one that says "startup" look in that list of programs that are running when you start your system up.
    Maybe you have a program there that's running some sort of update or a program that's running in the background like a virus scan.
    Example:

Avg internet
    Adobe acrobat
    Microsoft update
    Windows defender

Also you might have a download manager running and it has not completed a task.
    Look down by the clock and see what icons you have there this could be of some help.

But for the meantime do as mention and see if that solve your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows installer pops up [ 2 Answers ]

When I start windows xp windows installer pops up and starts sonic activation module. If I say cancel, it starts again,and it is continuous.. how to stop this :confused:

Windows installer [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know what really happens on my PC. When I was doing some photostory making my computer hanged up and when I re-started a message appears " ntldr missing ". I know my OS was corrupted. Can you give me site for downloading windows XP for free?

Windows Installer Service [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to re-install the Installer Service on an XP Home SP2 computer I have here. I keep getting an Access Denied error and the installation backtracks and restarts the computer. I have read numerous instructions telling me to rename msi.dll msiexec.dll and msihnd.dll and they all say that it...

Windows Installer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I used to have Nokia PC Suite 5.1 installed. I have managed to manually (Auto wouldn't work) uninstall it and install Nokia PC Suite 6.2 - which is working great. Now, every time I start my Windows Xp PC I have Windows Installer asking me where the install disk is, This also appears when I use...

View more questions Search