Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrsmallengine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2006, 03:05 PM
    MTD lawn tractor won't stop
    Replaced all belts but tractor is still taking off when changing gears instead of sitting still until gears change
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 27, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Is the foot pedal adjusted correctly to where when you press it down to change gears the pulley gets pulled away far enough?.

May just need adjusting..

Check it when the engine if off and press the clutch or have someone helping you press the clutch down and see how far the pulley moves.. good luck
    nots3w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 08:29 PM
    If your MTD is anything like my Troy-Bilt (also made by MTD), this might help:

Mine has a rod connecting the drive pedal to the idler pulleys. When you press on the drive pedal, the rod pulls on the pulleys to put tension on the belt. When you release the pedal, the rod pushes the pulleys to release the tension. At the end of that rod is a ball joint that screws onto the rod. If the rod is too short (screwed too far into the ball joint), the pulleys don't get pushed far enough and there will still be a bit of tension on the idler pulleys and the belt. As soon as you put it in gear, the tractor wants to move even before you press the drive pedal. I had that problem until tonight. I unscrewed the rod from the ball joint leaving about 3/8" in the ball joint. That made the rod about 1/2" longer and that was enough to let the drive belt go slack until I press the drive pedal.

I hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troybuilt Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Mower Runs Fine, Just When I Engage Blades, Will Run For A Min And Then It Will Disengage Blades, What Is The Problem

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

Weedeater lawn tractor [ 7 Answers ]

I have a weedeater lawn tractor age unknown but 5-8 years guessing with a 12.5 briggs engine, went to start it last week and clicking was all I got so tried to manually turn crankshaft and it was froze, this week I got to tinkering with it and was able to turn shaft and it fired up like always,...

Tractor won't STOP running... [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my tractor 4 months ago. Today as I was mowing my yard, when I wanted to stop, the brake would not engage and the tractor kept moving. When I tried to re-start the tractor, although the tractor was in park, the tractor began to move again. Any suggestion as to the cause or diagnosis to...

View more questions Search