Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslrice Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Basement Tub Rough-In
    After countless hours of planning (thanks to everyone here for helping me out with that!) I had a licensed plumber complete the rough in of a bathroom in my basement this weekend. It proceeded without problem except it took longer to find the existing drain lines buried under the ground than I thought it would.

When the plumber finished the rough-in and replaced all the concrete, he left a small area (maybe 4 inch square) unfilled, around the new tub drain rough in. He said this was standard, that the space would be needed to make all the connections, and (this surprised me) that it would never get filled in at all, just left open the way it is.

It seems to me that's an easy way to get water in, possibly. Or even bugs. Who knows.

Is this normal?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Yup! That's called a tub dap out... very normal to keep unfilled as may need to access connections to trap in the future!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Hi James, Back again I see.
    When the plumber finished the rough-in and replaced all the concrete, he left a small area (maybe 4 inch square) unfilled, around the new tub drain rough in. He said this was standard, that the space would be needed to make all the connections, and (this surprised me) that it would never get filled in at all, just left open the way it is.
    It seems to me that's an easy way to get water in, possibly. Or even bugs. Who knows.
    Is this normal?
    This is call a "Tub Dap-Out" It's necessary because the tub waste connects to the trap raiser under the floor line. As a rule we leave them open with no complaints but If this opening bothers you can cover the dirt with roof cement and seal it that way.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 6 Answers ]

I'm planning on putting in a bathroom (shower, toilet, lav) in the basement of our house. I have a question regarding drainage: Is there a minimum drop in elevation needed from a fixture to the main sewer line? I have the necessary 1/4" per foot of line slope, but the total drop from the shower...

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Rough in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have three pipes coming out of the unfinished basement. First pipe is for a shower. Second pipe is for the toilet. Third pipe is the vent pipe. Question is - can I run a sink drainage pipe down the vent pipe?

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement rough in [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I built my house about 3 years ago and I'd like to finish the basement. The bathroom was setup for a shower, sink and toilet. My question is how to install everything. I have 2 pipes coming up from the floor both 3.5"dia capped. I also have a square patch in the floor for the shower drain I...

View more questions Search