Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Here are some quotes from the Bible
    SAB, Cruelty in Genesis
    God KILLS and KILLS again. And after he is done killing, he kills more.

>Comment Removed<
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:12 PM

jrwild62, you aren't going to get banned for posting quotes from the bible - you're going to get your post deleted for not asking a question. So phrase your above statement in the form of a question which can lead to a friendly conversation, and you should have no problems. And remember to keep it civil.

Here's a suggestion:

Why is there so much murder in the bible?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 02:15 PM

That site is wrong even from the very beginning: "Because God liked Abel's animal sacrifice more than Cain's vegetables, Cain kills his brother Abel in a fit of religious jealousy. 4:8."

Cain (not God) did the killing, and it wasn't because God didn't like Cain's veggie sacrifice more than Abel's animal one.

Have you been banned before?
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab View Post
    jrwild62, you aren't going to get banned for posting quotes from the bible - you're going to get your post deleted for not asking a question. So phrase your above statement in the form of a question which can lead to a friendly conversation, and you should have no problems. And remember to keep it civil.

Here's a suggestion:

I appriciate that Jillian. It's hard not to be passionate about this subject. Sometimes it gets the best of me. And I am trying to be civil. It's tough sometimes.

Would you argee that this subject evolkes passion in people?
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62 View Post
    I appriciate that Jillian. It's hard not to be passionate about this subject. Sometimes it gets the best of me. And I am trying to be civil. It's tough sometimes.

OK, Then I ask,, why is there so much murder in the Bilbe? I suppose ask God. If I remember correctly there is a total of 17 murderes in the Koran. The Bible?? 2.2 million! That's a good question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 02:21 PM
    We all know it does, just like political and money discussions. For evidence, look at those boards on this site.
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:24 PM

Here's a suggestion:

Sorry Chuck, I do pose the question,, Why all the murder in the Bible? I want to know why God is so into killing his own creation.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:24 PM

I absolutley agree this subject evokes passion in people. People are passionate about their faith (or lack thereof), and take personal offence when someone calls what they consider the "truth" into question. That doesn't mean you can't have conversations about religion and faith, it just means you have to be mindful of the approach you take and remain respectful at all times. Don't stoop to the level of being an aggressive troll or losing your temper; you'll learn more and have less posts deleted. :) Think out your question before posting, and post because you really what an answer, not because you want to start a flamewar.
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:25 PM
    I absolutley agree this subject evokes passion in people. People are passionate about their faith (or lack thereof), and take personal offence when someone calls what they consider the "truth" into question. That doesn't mean you can't have conversations about religion and faith, it just means you have to be mindful of the approach you take and remain respectful at all times. Don't stoop to the level of being an agressive troll or losing your temper; you'll learn more and have less posts deleted. :) Think out your question before posting, and post because you really what an answer, not because you want to start a flamewar.
    Agreed!!
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
    I absolutley agree this subject evokes passion in people. People are passionate about their faith (or lack thereof), and take personal offence when someone calls what they consider the "truth" into question. That doesn't mean you can't have conversations about religion and faith, it just means you have to be mindful of the approach you take and remain respectful at all times. Don't stoop to the level of being an agressive troll or losing your temper; you'll learn more and have less posts deleted. :) Think out your question before posting, and post because you really what an answer, not because you want to start a flamewar.
    That has been my fault in all this. I will try to be more objective and considerate. Keep my anger at bay. It seems I have only caused heated debate against me at this point. But I really do want honest answers to honest questions.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:36 PM
    That has been my fault in all this. I will try to be more objective and considerate. Keep my anger at bay. It seems I have only caused heated debate at this point. But I really do want honest answers to honest questions.
    There's nothing wrong with asking legitimate questions, but yes, you are off to a rocky start. Just chill, no sense in getting upset by a bunch of schmucks on the intertubes. :D

To answer the question of why there is so much murder in the bible - my best guess is so the people who read it fully understand how powerful god is and that when he says don't make fun of bald men, he means it. But I'm a godless heathen, so what the hell do I know?

2 Kings 2:23-24 (King James Version)
    King James Version (KJV)

23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Seriously though, I guess it has to do with god asserting his power. We also know god is a jealous god, and when people (and apparently, gods) are jealous, they do some crazy things. And remember, as they say, absolute power breeds absolute corruption.
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
    There's nothing wrong with asking legitimate questions, but yes, you are off to a rocky start. Just chill, no sense in getting upset by a bunch of schmucks on the intertubes. :D

To answer the question of why there is so much murder in the bible - my best guess is so the people who read it fully understand how powerful god is and that when he says don't make fun of bald men, he means it. But I'm a godless heathen, so what the hell do I know?

2 Kings 2:23-24 (King James Version)
    King James Version (KJV)

23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Seriously though, I guess it has to do with god asserting his power. We also know god is a jealous god, and when people (and apparently, gods) are jealous, they do some crazy things. And remember, as they say, absolute power breeds absolute corruption.
    I agree, but whey does the creator of the universe have to be so angry? If I created the universe, we would all be happy and eat well without gaining a single pound. Food would naturally grow in the fields for free picking. We would all be naked and unashamed. There would no such thing as money,, no need for it. People would wake up everyday and feel extreme happiness. Happiness to the point of falling down laughing in pure joy. There would be no crime, no sickness, Peiople would be happy and healthy for 1000 years and go to sleep one day one there 1000th birthday. Chocolate cake and ice cream would be healhty. There would be no cars, electricity, computers, phones Government, taxes, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, just freedom and fun. A 1000 picnic. I ask,, What's wrong with that??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Actually, no, that's not why (according to the Bible). In Genesis 12, God told Abram he would become the father of a great nation. God also told him He would lead Abram and his fledgling nation to a land that they would be able to claim as their own, a land of milk and honey, a land that would be the center of monotheism in a mostly pantheistic world. That land we all know now by the name Israel.

Back in Abram's time, the land was called Canaan and was inhabited by people who did not believe in God. God gave Abraham's (his name had been changed to this) young nation permission to eradicate all the people currently living there, to totally wipe out the idol worship and paganism that they practiced. Then the young nation moved in and took over the land for themselves.

(And yes, that doesn't explain why all the children were killed. One would think that they could have been raised with the God-believing children. That's what some conquering nations often did, save at least some of the children and adopt them. In this case, the annihilation of the Canaanites was total.)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 02:58 PM
    I agree, but whey does the creator of the universe have to be so angry? If I created the universe, we would all be happy and eat well without gaining a single pound. Food would naturally grow in the fields for free picking. We would all be naked and unashamed. There would no such thing as money,,, no need for it. People would wake up everyday and feel extreme happiness. Happiness to the point of falling down laughing in pure joy. There would be no crime, no sickness, Peiople would be happy and healthy for 1000 years and go to sleep one day one there 1000th birthday. Chocolate cake and ice cream would be healhty. There would be no cars, electricity, computers, phones Government, taxes, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, just freedom and fun. A 1000 picnic. I ask,,,, Whats wrong with that?????
    Your creations would not fight or argue; they would have no free will and would have no choice but to be happy? Then you are a puppet master.
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your creations would not fight or argue; they would have no free will and would have no choice but to be happy? Then you are a puppet master.
    So you have a problem waking up everyday of your life and being happy with aboslutely no problems? You sound trapped on the Earth that is filled with depression. Make me God, I'll do a better job.
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
    So you have a problem waking up everyday of your life and being happy with aboslutely no problems? You sound trapped on the Earth that is filled with depression. Make me God, I'll do a better job.
    Is God not a puppet master right NOW?
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Is God not a puppet master right NOW?
    This God commands you to worship him for your entire life and then for trillions of years after that. Who is the puppet master now?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
    I would have no choice but to be what you consider happy.

I won't appreciate the sun if I haven't experienced the rain. And too much cake and ice cream make my tummy hurt. Always getting what one wants and "being happy" isn't the best way to live.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
    This God commands you to worship him for your entire life and then for trillions of years after that. Who is the puppet master now?
    But I have free will. I have a choice. I can say no.

A commander is one thing. Being a puppet master is something else.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:26 PM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Top 10 quotes [ 20 Answers ]

In case you haven't heard, the Yale Book of Quotations top quotes for 2007: And yes, you can buy the t-shirt... http://images.cafepress.com/product/172343051v1_240x240_Front.jpg

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

Job quotes [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: when you put in a quote for new construction cleaning... do you quote the rough and the final clean together or separate, and how about the windows, and the garage..? please help . Thanks angie

Quotes from around [ 3 Answers ]

Sarcastic Quotes » Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence. - Ashleigh Brilliant » It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black. - Paul Newman » It's a catastrophic success.

View more questions Search