Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xocy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Florida - Abandonment of rental property
    My tenant with a 12 month lease abandoned the property and trashed the place. He was current with the rent. He owes about $8,000 in future rent payments unless I can lease the house.

Since I did not have to evict him, how do I proceed to collect?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Oct 6, 2008, 12:43 PM
    You will most likely want to consult an attorney on this since your damages may well exceed you states limit in small claims court.

Make sure you take plenty of photo's of the damages and keep all of your receipts for repairs.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xocy View Post
    My tenant with a 12 month lease abandoned the property and trashed the place. He was current with the rent. He owes about $8,000 in future rent payments unless I can lease the house.

Since I did not have to evict him, how do I proceed to collect?

You'll have to take a close look at this - you will get less money in Small Claims. You will get more money in a superior court but you will need an Attorney. Also, can you collect from him? A larger Judgment won't do you any good if you can't collect. For that matter, could you collect a smaller Judgment - ?

You would have to decide which option makes sense.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:21 PM

It's my understanding that in FL you don't even need to attempt to mitigate your / their losses and re-rent the unit prior to the original end date of their lease.

So you can tabulate the lost rent, all your damages and sue them for the total. As prev. posters have pointed out... you'll have to weigh out dollar amounts and what limits are for small claims vs. higher courts, etc.

One other question... do you know where he is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida Abandonment Law [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Florida Abandonment laws online? Can things like property taxes be held off from having to be paid if they are not paid before he leaves?

Florida abandonment law [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how the state of Florida defines child abandonment? I can't find anything in the state legislature. Long story short.. I'm a foster parent and we're heading towards adoption. The father 'popped' up in court yesterday asking for visitation after 20 months of no visits or contact...

Florida: sale of rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I'm considering renting a house from an agent. In conversation they let slip that the owner of the place was considering selling it . Can they legally do that? Can they enter a lease agreement with a tenant with the intent of selling the property out from under them? Would the new owner be legally...

Abandonment of rental property [ 1 Answers ]

I rent out a mobile home. My tenant is two weeks past due. I have tried contacting her and left messages for her. I have gone by the rental property and she is not there. The neighbors say that she has not been there for about tree weeks. I went by her place of employment and she quit her job...

View more questions Search