Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chughes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Kitchen sink leak at garbage disposal flange
    I have a re-occurring problem with the flange in the bottom of my stainless steel sink. I have installed it several times over the years and it will leak after time. I put plumbers putty under it and it holds the longest, but after time it seems to dry up and start to seep again. I have tried a dry gasket and no luck.
    What I was wondering, how about a proper application of clear silicone? Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 08:59 AM

It somewhat depends if the leak is between your gasket and the disposal or between the gasket and the sink. Between the basket and the sink you should use plumbers putty to set the basket. Once that is installed the disposal locks into place by using the allen wrench supplied with it, insert in one of the 3 holes in the collar and rotate to seal, no silicone or caulk at this point. If you keep getting leaks at this connection I'd carefully inspect the rubber collar for nicks or tears.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 10:56 AM

Follow Bob's instructions, when the strianer body is removed inspect for carcks or scrches, click on the link below will just give you and Idea how to remove and install a G/D, good Luck.

John

Installing a Garbage Disposer Tutorial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new faucet in kitchen wit garbage disposal? [ 28 Answers ]

I just bought a home that has a single sink in the kitchen. I replaced the existing faucet with an new one. The old setup had the sprayer all together with the faucet and the hole where the new sprayer needs to go has some rounded cap that is connected to the side of the garbage disposal under...

Double kitchen sink w/garbage disposal and dishwasher [ 4 Answers ]

Installed new counter and sink several years ago. Problem is that when I put the stopper in one side and fill with water the garbage disposal side drains VERY slow. The never was an air gap installed. It drains into the garbage disposal.. no problem there. The sink is deeper than the old one....

Small leak between garbage disposal and sink [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed a little water in the cabinet under my sink. Finally figured it leaks a little where the garbage disposal connects to the bottom of the sink. Can I expect to just pull the disposal and replace a rubber washer or something or will I need anything else to take care of this? Any...

Kitchen garbage disposal [ 2 Answers ]

How do you fix a 'locked-up' disposal?

Does Kitchen Sink Sprayer Go On Same Side As Garbage Disposal? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a double bowl kitchen sink. Does the sprayer go on same bowl as the garbage disposal or on the opposite bowl?

View more questions Search