Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kpb46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Wiring water heater
    Changing fron a gas to an electric water heater. Question is once I run the 220 line from the service panel to the water heater location how do you get it to the water heater. Do you mount some sort of juction box on the wall and then run a line to the tank ? Can't imagine that you just run a line through the dry wall too the tank :eek: In other words.. how do you rough wire it in ?

Thanks in advance

Ken
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:07 AM

Ken, plenty of experts on this site, I'm sure you will get good advice. I'm curious as to why the change to electric, also what part of the world you live. Thanks and good luck
    kpb46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Doing a rehab on an old cabin in mid-Michigan. The cabin is on a slab and currently runs the gas line around the back of the building. Very unsightly. Rather than try and replumb the gas line I feel it would be easier and neater to run electric seeing as I have the walls opened up. It is not a full time residence. Just a small cabin next door that I will use for over flow guests so I am not too concerned about operating costs
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks Ken. I'm surprised that someone has not answer your question. Hang in, they'll get to you.
    Mr Shove L Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 12:05 PM
    HI Ken , If its any interest to you, My house is in UP mich. Built about 8 years ago , the builder , had the 240 line coming out of the breaker box,running along at the ceiling in basement ,above the wall ; then when it gets over the hot water tank it makes a 90 degree turn straight down to tank , it is in a junction box up in ceiling,when it changed direction to come straight down, it is also in BX armored cover? Maybe you can get a clue from this?? But your probably done already. good luck Mr Shove l
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 05:16 PM

Most often water heaters are installed in basements or utility rooms and electric cable to the water heater is just fastened to the framing members and the cable is connected directly to the heater. If yours is run inside the wall you may just come through the drywall. If you would like, you can install a cover plate with a single round hole fastened to the drywall or you can install a box and use the cover plate.

That's all if the water heater is within sight of the breaker panel. If not within sight of the breaker panel, install a 30 amp disconnect box. These are most often surface mounted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a hot water heater at the cottage, there is a 240 circuit already in place that was wired for a dryer - so it has black, red, white and bare copper. The water heater has the standard black, red and green for 240v. I know the dryer wire black and red are hot and on the water heater...

Wiring Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring hot water heater to 2 pole 3 amp breaker. Hot Water tank has double thermostat. At the top of the water heater are two wires, one black and one red. No white wires as I am normally familiar. Is there a way to wire without using a junction box? The heater is very close to panel. If...

Hot water heater wiring [ 3 Answers ]

My question concerns the installation of a 40 gallon electric hot water heater. It will have 2 elements (upper and lower), each of which carries a load of 4500 watts. I believe it requires 240 hookup. I plan on hardwiring it (no plug), but I need to know what wire size and breaker size to use. ...

Wiring up a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

How do you wire up a hot water heater if the wires from the water heater are red and black and the wires from the wall are black and white?

Wiring hot water heater to 110 [ 4 Answers ]

How do I wire a hot water heater that is set up for 240 to 110? I don't want to have to put in a 220 plug I just want to run it off the 110 source already there. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search