Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Manabo Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

May 25, 2006, 11:26 PM
    What do think religion means in today's society?
    As a christian I have noticed that as time passes by, the meaning and values of religions is diminishing. The respect towards it mean nothing and the boudaries that protect the rights of religion do not mean anything. Shows are constantly making fun of god. Society disrespects god, and the thing that bothers me the most is that its humorous. I sound hypocritical but I know its wrong to laugh but it is funny in a sense its wrong but... what can you do? Sorry I just can't seem to say what I want to say. Comments. Please be welcomed to speak your mind.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 01:13 AM
    Im a catholic, and I must admit sometimes I do laugh at certain jokes that are made on god's behalf or even more so on the church's behalf, other jokes I find extreme.
    Society today I believe is learning more about science, and also believing the options of how we ended up on planet earth and even more so how this world evolved, and these days I think people believe the scienists when explanations about the universe and world are given.
    I don't know if this is making sense, but what I'm trying to say is people these days are more broad minded, esp when it comes to a topic i.e religion.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Hi,
    I don't agree with "all" of society disrespecting God. I am a Christian also, being Baptized into Jesus Christ. Since you posted in Religion, this is the place to say it.
    Christians have to stand up for what they believe; just as they have for over 2000 years! Others will try to defeat Christianity, nothing new. Belief in God is a person's choice, attending a Church of your choice is a personal choice, and praying is also.
    The Courts' decision to separate Church from State, has done nothing to discourage worshipers anywere. Those who believe still do, and are still fighting the injustices of the Court system, which is just my opinion about the "injustices".
    Don't ever lose your beliefs, and others, sooner or later, will wake up and smell the roses, too.
    TV shows which make fun of Religion does it for Ratings! It's like a business... no profits... no business. No good ratings... no TV show.
    Hang in there, and best wishes.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Good comments FredG, I totally agree.
    You stated - "Christians have to stand up for what they believe in", which is true, but some Christians or Catholics maybe nowadays are not so sure what they believe in.
    I take myself as an example, I was baptised as a new born, did my holy communion at the age of 9, and did my confirmation at the age of 12.

I believe those are very young to make these kind of decissions of what you want to follow as a religion, I feel its forced as it's the parents choice, I'm not saying I'm a non believer but I neither a total believer.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 26, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Krs - I first would like to address something you said about your religion.
    And it is information from ministers that I say this.

Being baptised as a newborn is a nice ritual. Babes are saved anyway so this baptism is not required for salvation as we can't make our own decisions at that time.
    Being baptised as an adult is an act we do by faith. Actually the baptism is not required for salvation. One gets saved by confessing they are a sinner, that the Lord is Son of God and that he died for our sins, and that from there on we will live for Him. Baptism can come later, to be more like Christ.

The communion and the confirmation, all good to remember your faith. But it is the close relationship one has with the Lord daily, after they are born-again that brings growth, knowledge and wisdom about the things of God.

Get baptised in or with the Holy Spirit. They say you don't have to, but I took an altar call for that (b/c I heard my pastor had done that) And although I had been born- again for 15+ yrs. I now had revelations from The Word, from hearing it or reading the Bible myself.

I don't think I understood much about my religion up that point except that Jesus was the great intercessor. Now I find it interesting and more personal.

To Manabo's question (finally!) -

Today's society has a lot of mockers of the Lord. And some of these ministers are saying that it is only going to get worse. Like fulfillment of scripture.
    I noted one reading of a newspaper at the university of Oregon called the "insurgent" where they dipicted a cartoon of Jesus hanging naked on the cross(&something else I won't say) Then there's Madonna who does a demeaning act with a mock crucifixion complete with the crown of thorns. The Da Vinci Code denying the deity of Christ, reducing our Lord to a con man, while calling the Christian faith a lie.

God WILL hold them accountable, but these people have clearly rejected God, His Truth, and Jesus, so what do u expect?
    They have given themselves over as instruments of unrighteousness so they are actually doing what comes naturally to them.

As followers of the Lord, we can take our stand by living a Godly and Holy life... each day where we live, work or recreate with the people God brings across your path.

And that doesn't mean Satan gets to be bold and intimidate us either. You can't stop the mockers but you can make sure their message of hatred for our Lord does not go unchallenged!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 10:39 AM
    I personally think that the youth of today has figured out that you can be a person of good moral character without the organized religion. Too many fire and brimstone and ultra-conservative messages have turned people off.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 26, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Need, as I go on in life I beginning to think your right. :eek: Yep, believe it or not. When you say organized religion I really think you mean the legalistic view of having to do things a certain way. One example would be that some pastors would say it is outright wrong to watch TV because of what is on TV. I agree with the fact the you should becareful what you watch but that should be for their own conviction. There might be something I don't feel is right to watch but another it is OK.

Before anyone else attacks me for thinking I am saying there should be no order in church that is not what I am saying. It wasn't until I startted going to my current church that I realized appearance isn't as important as showing you care about someone. Our pastor can preach the fire and brimstone message but he also gives the message that God really cares about you. There are churches out there like that. They call sin - sin, they won't tolerate what is morally wrong but they won't condemn you for being who you are.

I am not sure if I am not conveying this correctly but I am trying to get across that not all organized religion is bad. You just have to search it out. I may come across sometimes that I am better than someone else because of what I believe, but I really don't think I am better. I am just more confident of who I believe in and what God can do for you. Note, I didn't say what the people of the church can do for you but what God can do for you.

Now to the question.

The respect towards it mean nothing and the boudaries that protect the rights of religion do not mean anything.
    I think you are correct. America has pushed so far away from God then when a catastrophe happens, they look to God and say " How could you let this happen?"

Shows are constantly making fun of god. Society disrespects god, and the thing that bothers me the most is that its humorous. I sound hypocritical but I know its wrong to laugh but it is funny in a sense its wrong but... what can you do? Sorry I just can't seem to say what i want to say.
    Don't be upset at this. It is funny sometimes. This is why Christians sometimes are thoguht of as stiff. Everyone can laugh at themselves. There are times when it is so off the wall I can't laugh but for the most part that is what people perceive God as. So what? What will you do about that? We have to let God defend himself and stop thinking we need to bash peoples heads in defending God. This is why we have Chrstians killing abortion doctors. They forgot that God is control not them. Phew! I have said too much. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I had to get it off my chest.

Walk with the Lord and let Him lead. You will do fine. :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 26, 2006, 05:20 PM
    It is the "information age" and the flood gates are opened. Lots of questioning, lots of figuring, maybe lots of trying new things on, if we're lucky lots learning too (at least I hope so). With that comes a loosening of the grip certain institutions have on any culture.

Religion is only one of several real biggies that has felt the impact of this. Education, social customs and national identities are all in something of a flux, it seems to me, to name a few. Lots of change. What is driving it all, who knows?

I only know I am too "little" to see enough of it to make a conclusion. But that doesn't stop me from examining what I can or, like you, being concerned about where its all going. The world is a complex but shrinking place and we are often challenged to find a way to be or remain spiritually true to ourselves while respectful to each other.

Good question.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 26, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabo
    As a christian I have noticed that as time passes by, the meaning and values of religions is diminishing. The respect towards it mean nothing and the boudaries that protect the rights of religion do not mean anything. Shows are constantly making fun of god. Society disrespects god, and the thing that bothers me the most is that its humorous. I sound hypocritical but I know its wrong to laugh but it is funny in a sense its wrong but.... what can you do? sorry I just can't seem to say what i wanna say. Comments. please be welcomed to speak your mind.

I agree that at one time religion was taken far more seriously than it is today. Part of the reason, as mentioned previously, is the so-called higher learning which puts forth godlessness as the requirement for a scientific mind.
    The sad part is that many who were expected to resist this systematic attack on religion have compromised. For example, many of those who once taught that man is a special creation from the start as described by the BIble now say he was originally an animal as required by evolution.

Perhaps that compromising attitude is one of the reasons the film industry feels justified in getting in a few kicks of its own by portraying the clergy as being almost helpless before evil spirits. They are depicted as being pummeled, murdered, or chased? In the film Damian, for example, one priest is skewered by the steeple of his own church. In the same film a woman is run over by a truck while praying to be delivered from evil. This type of thing is also mockery passed of as entertainment.

But this is not surprising since the scriptures tell us that during the last days mockery of God and his word would increase.

(2 Pet 3:3 KJV) Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
    (Jude 1:18 KJV) How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

Laughter itself becomes a sin only when done at the wrong time and for the wrong reason. One wouldn't tell jokes and laugh at a funeral. If a person is seriously injured, laughter would seem inappropriate. Or if human rights are violated, one would refrain from laughing at the victims. So laughter is OK as long as it's about the right thing and at the right time. The scripture below mentions this.

Ecclesiastes 3:4
    A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;

Many religious people are prone to view God as dour-faced and humorless. I personally don't imagine him that way. I imagine that now and then he does see the comical side of certain things and has what to him is the equivalent of a good laugh. One of the things which we are told causes God amusement is the useless efforts that which nations will put forth to resist his will when he decides to terminate this present world.

Psalm 59:8
    But You, O LORD, shall laugh at them;You shall have all the nations in derision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

This means she like me better than likes me right. [ 7 Answers ]

Okay so for about 4 months now I'm been going out with this girl. The thing is I had to lie to her parents and she as to lie to her parents about my name. Cause they found out that I took her and her friend somewhere to have a drink. Where all minors, anyway the other girl blabbed her mouth and...

This means nothing to me... [ 3 Answers ]

"Oh Vienna..." so sang Midge Your,and Ultravox in 1981.Odd then that with Windows Vista,due for release Xmas 2006,that Redmond and co,are already working on the next OS. It's code name is Vienna.I checked a reputable link,to see if it was a joke: ...

Do not know what this message means, can you help? [ 35 Answers ]

*Good afternoon: I need some help to solve these problems on my computer. I tried to copy and paste into this forum but for I was unable to do this function. Is this possible here? And how do I do it. It might not matter because I have typed what the pop boxes indicate. There are 4 boxes...

Computers: It means what? [ 5 Answers ]

512MB DDR RAM 266Mhz (2x256MB) Does this mean that if I choose this option 266Mhz will be ADDED to my computer? And can your RAM get less on a computer? Thanks, Conrad

View more questions Search