Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linksys2000 Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Does society prefer "light skin" or "dark skin?"
    Hello To All,

My name is linksys2000. I am new to Ask Me Help Desk....well somewhat new, nowadays. However, I've found this forum to be extremely informative and exciting! Thanks for providing in depth information on various topics and taking the time to keep everyone informed.

This will be my first forum posting in the "relationships" section and feel that this is a question that everyone (especially person with cultural background) has pondered about. However, I have been a somewhat frequent poster in the "skin lightening" segment when beginning my transformation to a light complexion a few months back... long story.

Lately, I have looked in the mirror in admiration of this new skin tone, so vibrant and light. None the less, this is a endles cycle of day and nightly regemines. And might I add, a hopeful "user/consumer" in this world of cosmetics and beauty treatments.

What am I truly afraid of and or running from or towards? Why should anyone feel that having a lighter complexion is more "socially acceptable?"

My results have been great and absoultley receive more attention in a socailly motivated atmosphere! But inside, I am hooked, held captive to my thoughts and obtaining a lighter complexion.

So, do you prefer lighter skin and or darker skin? If it really does not matter to you, why does society beg to differ? Please respond to my posting... what are your opinions on this matter?

Desperate Admiration...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 08:43 PM

People who are comfortable in their own skin, simply don't care.
    But everyone is entitled to be what they want to be. Sort of like if a boob job helps you feel better, go buy you some.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 10:39 PM

I've dated girls with light skin, and I've also dated girls with dark skin. To be honest, I couldn't care less... it's more about teeth to me.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 10:50 PM

The funny bone is my big concern. The bigger, the better, I say.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 06:21 AM

Nice teeth, and a big funny bone... YEAH, that's a great start.
    Quankelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 11:41 AM

Yes. Really it is I am a black girl "dark brownskin" when I was like really little I wasn't so concerend about my complexion I just really loved myself and thought the only thing that was important was "character". Now I know the real truth when you look a certain way people have more paitence with no matter what your about. You have to have noticed black women are the least desirable of all women ,look at the music videos black men are thee only ones with women of other races when you see a white man's or Latino gentleman they have women of their own culture.This is just truth Iam not mad about anything I love myself but people really don't talk about it much.As for being lightskin last year I had acne really bad and went to a plastic surgeon he gave me Dr.Obagi products and I put it all over. I was lightskin after a while of using it talking about people noticing me and treating me different.Now that is what puzzles me I am the same person "really" I have no words. I really love my personality but Iam looking for a more permanent way to stay lightskin because because there is more money to be made having a more unierversal look of beauty. Iam actually only attracted to milk chocalate,dark chocolate but will exploit my lightskin for monitary purposes because if it don't make money it don't make cents .
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 12:46 PM

Interesting question.

Gosh, I'm a gay man with fair skin and I always wanted to be darker (I've got Irish background and could never keep a tan more than a day). Years ago I used to use tanning salons and they worked for maybe 3 days at the most then I'd fade back to my pale-pink
    I always envied those with naturally darker skin. But after a while I came to learn it really was unimportant. There are so many other things that really count and go into looking good, and skin tone is just not one of them (or on a scale of 1-10 it's way down the list).

Be happy with who and what you are, and like your natural color (I gave up on the tanning booths long ago) and people will think more of you.
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 02:32 PM

I like light skin girls.

But that is just my taste. Everyone is allowed them.

In the end it does not really matter what color you are. As long as the person you are with loves you and most important

You love yourself!
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Nov 21, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I always thought that dark skin is gorgeous. The more dark is more beautiful in my opinion.

I'm as pale as a vampire too!

I guess I think our society is changing to being a lot more accepting of all skin tones. At least definitely more than it ever was.
    linksys2000 Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxariesxx View Post
    I always thought that dark skin is gorgeous. The more dark is more beautiful in my opinion.

I'm as pale as a vampire too!

I guess I think our society is changing to being a lot more accepting of all skin tones. At least definitely more than it ever was.
    Thanks to everyone for your input and comments! Your opionions and advice was well received.
    tatj2525 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 06:30 PM

Beauty is on the inside. What do you like? You don't have to change a thing to be accepted by anyone. Everyone has different taste. You will be changing everyday if you are trying to please people. I have not seen you but there is beauty in every soul!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 06:48 PM

I prefer darker skin. I have never understood why anyone would want to lighten their skin. Dark complexions are beautiful. Like people from India have a look about them that I wish I had.
    I tan in the summer whenever possible and then in the fall it fades and I think I look and feel more sickly than when I have the sun and a tan.
    youser333 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 07:50 PM

Being multi-racial Ive experienced both sides I feel. I think that the media portrays lighter skin women as more attractive and that's what makes us self conscious.

I've always gotten more attention from black men because of my mixed race than my darker friends and its just so unfair.

I love all colors and to me the most important thing is personality & a zest for life.

I wish women of darker skin were found more in the media because they are just as beautiful as fair skin.

Just don't let someone else tell you what beauty is. Define your own.
    Besides, nothing is sexier than confidence!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

How to get "dark"skin [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a way to get "dark" skin (not like a tan darker)? :confused:

View more questions Search