Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfk0024 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Secondary voltage fuse is open
    I have a Carrier furance model number 58STA/STX and my LED is indicating a Secondary Voltage Fuse is Open. I have replaced the fuse and each time I engage the heat switch on the termostat, the fuse blows. I jumped the wiring on the thermostat and each time, the fuse keeps blowing. I also jumped the wires on the mother board and the fuse keeps blowing as well...

Please advise on any ideas t correct.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 02:26 PM

Your jumping is sounding a bit like russian roulette. You really haven't explained what terminals you jumped and under what conditions.

From what I think you did, this is what I think you should do:

Remove the wires from terminals R and W (Call for heat) at the furnace.

Jump R and W at the furnace.

What happens?

Oct 1, 2008, 05:12 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. Should I have the thermostat set on heat when I do this or just have it turned off...

Oct 1, 2008, 05:53 PM
    I Jumped those two and it works but the two wires are now exposed...

Please advise...
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Oct 1, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jfk0024 View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Should I have the thermostat set on heat when I do this or just have it turned off...
    If you disconnect the R and W wires at the FURNACE, you have disconnected the thermostat so that it can't call for heat. If jumping those terminals at the furnace still causes the fuse to blow, the fault is in the furnace. If the fuse doesn't blow, the fault is in the tstat or the tstat wiring.

EPM
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 06:55 PM

Use the forum to reply. You said in a PM, that it works when you jump R & W.

Now you need to move that same check to the t-stat. Reconnect R &W at the furnace.

Disconnnect R & W at the stat. Short the R & W wires. Heat should come on or the fuse will blow.

If fuse blows, I would SUSPECT the wiring. If it doesn't, I would SUSPECT the stat.

It's not a difinitive test, but the idea is that the relays in the stat should all be off.

There are lots of variables, including we don't know what make/model stat you have or if the stat uses batteries.

The good news is, it's not likely the furnace.

Oct 1, 2008, 07:38 PM

Ho do I use the forum? Sorry about the "stupedity" :)
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 07:56 PM

Your catching on, but the "Answer this question" box, should probably be "Reply to this topic" for original posters and "Answer this question for all others"

Once someone replies to a question, they automatically get notified by email when something's been posted.

You can turn it off or you can turn it on for specific questions that you didn't reply to, but want to be notified.

Yea, the forum is like a BLOG or question and answer dialog for the most part. Everybody adds their $0.02. Sometimes even the experts learn.

I think you got the hang of it now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ECU fuse and turn/reverse signal fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

He, I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback and has had electrical problems since the day I got it. This sh*t sucks. First, it was the ignition that kept burning up and I went through 3, and found the solution. Fixed that problem and now, there's another. The ECU fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing...

Light on Craftsman Garage Door Open will not turn OFF, when Open. [ 8 Answers ]

I purchase a new Craftsmang ½ hp Garage Door Open and found out in the Problem Section that if I have the door open and cross the safety sensor beams the light will turn ON automaticlly. I hate this feature because my kids constatnly run in and out of the garage door when it is open, so the light...

Difference between supply voltage and input voltage? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider a Common Emitter amplier circuit, there'll be two inputs present in which one is applied at the base of the transistor and other at collector I want to know 1)what is difference between that two voltages ? 2)need to use both in the same circuit? ...

Secondary amenorrhea [ 5 Answers ]

I am 18 and found out I have secondary amenorrhea. I REALLY want kids, and I am so bummed out. Has anyone had this and gone on to have normal healthy kids? Please I am so depessed over this.

Secondary Ammenorhea? [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone ever experienced Secondary Ammenorhea? And what was the cause of it? How was is helped?

View more questions Search