Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
    GFCI for wall heater?
    I'm installing a wall heater in a small bathroom. The heater will be next to a pedestal sink and controlled by a wall switch. The heater will be on its own 12 gauge, 20 amp circuit. The question is, should I install a GFCI outlet in the line before the heater to give ground fault protection to the heater and switch? Thanks - Dennis
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
    A GFI is not required by code, but you certainly may to have an extra level of protection. GFI is required for receptacles in case someone drops a hair dryer into the sink or tub.

If the heater can get wet, or short out, and come in contact with a person touching any metal on the sink, having a GFI is a good idea.

Exceeding the code is a always a good idea. I have done the same thing in the few similar situations I came across.

Be sure to connect the bare ground wire well to the metal housing of the heater.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Thank you, tk! - Dennis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

240 Volt Wall Heater [ 7 Answers ]

I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers one white and one black and connected them to the black and red leads from the wall unit and the ground poles on the heater box but it does not work. If I disconnect the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the white posts on...

240 volt wall heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a wall heater in a room. The heater has a ground wire and a black and red wire. How do you hook it up to 240 volts? Do I need to run four wires, three wires? I have a double breaker at 20 amps already in the circuit breaker panel but what do I need to hook up power. Does one of...

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

Would GFCI trip? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm into salt water fish tanks and I'm trying to get a better understanding of when a GFCI would (or wouldn't) trip under different situations. Suppose I had 1 submersible pump in the tank and for some reason it cracked. (For example, if I were hammering a nail into the wall above the tank and...

View more questions Search