Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crittersrus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Great dane puppy not eating
    I just bought a great dane pup. She is 8 weeks old. When I first brought her home about a week and a half ago she ate like a pig. All of the sudden today she won't eat. I got her to eat some cottage cheese and drink a little water but she is just wanting to sleep. She has a little diarrea.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 29, 2008, 03:06 PM

Has she gotten all of her beginner shots? Has she gotten her parvo shots and all of the other necessary ones? If she isn't eating or drinking a lot, and is lethargic, I would contact your veteranarian. Of course we cannot diagnose her without seeing her, so watch her closely, (watch all of her bowel movements also) and if this continues for the next day or so, you need to take her in to get checked. The earlier you catch what is wrong, the better.

I don't think the best thing to be giving her at this stage is cottage cheese. That could certainly cause the diarrhea. It's the other symptoms that I would keep an eye on.

Good Luck! :)
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Sep 29, 2008, 03:21 PM

Different foods can cause?? In a dog's bladder.
    If you think her tummy is upset, try giving a teaspoon of PeptoBismol.
    Yes, its human medicine, but it works for dogs too. Just administer through a syringe into her mouth.
    At that age, she might just get to accept that taste and later on when she's grown, she'll take it better.

Otherwise, just give her her puppy food... no fooling around with foods that may very well be the cause of her having bowel problems.

Cheese, well, for me, it does bind me... but that's not the type of food one thinks will work on a 7-week old puppy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great Dane not eating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old Great Dane . He has decided not to eat for three days in a row but will take people food He had some odd symptoms before the eating problem. He had blood in his urine (clotty but otherwise clear too normal color) and he has suddenly developed a diareah problem :( which he...

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

Great Dane Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Is it normal for a 9 week old puppy to pee a little bit many times in a short time In other words a lot of little squirts in 5 min. he'll take a little squirt then walk away come back in like a min. and do it again. Is that anything I need to worry about. Thanks

7 week old Great Dane Puppy Deaf? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. We recently purchased a great dane puppy that we believe maybe deaf. I have been on line to see what we can do and have done all the test, like hitting 2 pots together behind her, snapping, calling her, rang bells behind her also and yet she does not seem to move away or even look to...

Is playing tug a war good to do with a great dane puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering about tug a war.I have heard both ways Yes and no.I know one thing for sure is that it would help us if playing tug a war is not a bad thing because it would help wear down my wife's monster puppy.I think. Thanks Doug

View more questions Search