Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dc mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Sewage smell in water heater closet
    I live in a city row house renovated about ten years ago. There's an awful sewage smell that penetrates the ground floor, particularly in the closet that holds our hot water heater. The smell also seems particularly strong in the morning. We don't smell the scent near sinks or other dranks, but when you walk in the front door, the smell can be quite strong. I've read other posts that refer to an anode rod problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks. - Renee
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Hi Renee,
    Is there a heater pan installed under the washer to cary away spills? If so where does the 3/4" pan drain connect to?
    I've read other posts that refer to an anode rod problem.
    This only affects the water inside the tank. It has no effect on outside smells. Did this smell just start up or has it been there since day one? Any work been done on your drainage lately? Any new fixtures installed? Is there a floor drain in your unit anywhere? Let me know. Tom
    dc mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 07:09 AM

Thanks, Tom. It's pretty much been here since we moved in (so about three years now). No work has been done to our drains or fixtures. Our furnace is located in the same closet, and we replaced the whole unit and some of the ductwork last year. We have a crawl space under the house, though we'll need to cut a hole in the floor to access it. Overall, we feel that the owner that renovated the house cut a lot of corners, so who knows what we'll find here. Where would I see a foot drain?

R.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 09:00 AM
    DC MOM..

Tom Meant FLOOR drain... it would be located in the floor near water heater...

Could be that the floor drain.. if present.. could have lost its trap seal, i.e. the water in the trap has evaporated and is allowing sewer gasses into the home.

Check around and see if there is a floor drain... let us know what you find. Easy fix if this is the issue... ;)

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Smell around Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a house. The inspector smelled gas and his detector indicated a gas reading around the Hot Water Heater. The sellers had a plumber check it out for a leak. They did a diagnostic test using a liquid soap solution around the gas line, going into the water heater. ...

Sewage smell from water or pipes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Two problems: We have a 1/2 year old house, two story with a basement. We are on acreage, so we have a septic system. We have been noticing a sewage smell coming from either the water from the faucets, or from the drains. I have tried smelling the water (I put water into my coffee pot or...

Strange smell around water heater [ 11 Answers ]

There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on...

Sewage smell in upstairs bathroom closet [ 1 Answers ]

We are on a septic tank system. We noticed a few weeks ago a very foul sewer smell coming from the closet in our upstairs bathroom. The pvc piping goes through this closet up to the attic and to the roof. My husband did see a link in the attic which was covered by duct tape and he fixed it with...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search