Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PcolaTom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 06:24 PM
    GFCI and grounded receptacles
    My home has numerous non-grounded receptacles (2-wire, no ground). Is there such a thing as a whole house GFCI that would make the house safer allowing the convenient use of grounded (3-prong) receptacles?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if a GFCI is placed as the first receptacle that subsequent (down-the-line) receptacles could be changed from 2-prong to 3-prong and considered grounded/safe.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Well the answer is, kind of. You can install GFCI breakers and provide GFCI protection to each circuit. Some folks install GFCI receptacles which do accept the 3rd prong but that does not mean the outlet is actually grounded, it just now has GFCI protection. Ground and GFCI are not be confused, not the same. What kind of cabling is in your home?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PcolaTom View Post
    My home has numerous non-grounded receptacles (2-wire, no ground). Is there such a thing as a whole house GFCI that would make the house safer allowing the convenient use of grounded (3-prong) receptacles?
    Well, not a whole-house unit, but a breaker for each circuit ($$$), or a GFI receptacle at the beginning of each circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by PcolaTom View Post
    Also, I thought I read somewhere that if a GFCI is placed as the first receptacle that subsequent (down-the-line) receptacles could be changed from 2-prong to 3-prong and considered grounded/safe.
    As ballengerb1 says:
    Safe? Yes, definitely safer.
    Grounded? Definitely NOT.
    Legal? YES.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install new ground wire for non-grounded receptacles [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on running grounds to my upstairs plugs that are currently K&T with the two hole groundless plugs. Question is, can I run several of the grounds into a centrally located j-box and then just run one larger ground back to the panel? I can't imagine running a separate wire for...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Can a hood be on the same 20A circuit with already 2 duplex GFCI receptacles [ 3 Answers ]

In my kitchen I have 2 duplex GFCI receptacles above the countertop on one 20A circuit. I cannot pull an extra wire through the existing conduit so would like to hook up the hood and the range (all gas but needs power for the electronics) on that same circuit. Does the NEC 2005 code allow for...

15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. ...

Outlets(receptacles) not grounded... what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I embarked on a project to replace all the 15amp duplex wall receptacles in my living room yesterday because I wanted white outlets instead of the black ones that were installed. So I turned off the power and started to swap them out. They are 15amp duplex, 125-volt u-grounded receptacles. Much to...

View more questions Search