Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aussiejodi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Something broken inside my tub shower single handle faucet
    This morning I noticed something strange with the faucet in my tub. It is a single handle tub shower faucet made by Moen. Rather then starting with the handle down in the off position and turning anti-clockwise to turn on, I need to turn it clockwise to turn on and anti-clockwise to turn off with the handle finishing in the up position. Do I need to replace the entire cartridge or is this something as simple as a washer?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 09:13 PM

Does the handle appear to be loose ? Is the screw in the middle of the handle tighten all the way ? It appear to me that the handle got loose a bit therefore it doesn't stop where it should.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiejodi View Post
    This morning I noticed something strange with the faucet in my tub. It is a single handle tub shower faucet made by Moen. Rather then starting with the handle down in the off position and turning anti-clockwise to turn on, I need to turn it clockwise to turn on and anti-clockwise to turn off with the handle finishing in the up position. Do I need to replace the entire cartridge or is this something as simple as a washer?
    I'm a little confused here! Moen one handled valves pull to turn on and push to turn off. Your valve doesn't use washers. However, Moen does have a tube stop that prevents the handle from turning all the way around. This is a chrome tube with a square ridge running down the middle just behind the handle. You do not need a new cartridge you simply need to adjust the situation by removing the handle and turningthe stem 180 degrees. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 07:08 AM

Tom, let me clear the confusion for you: the older models "push and pull". The new ones - the pressure balanced, temperature controlled units - turn around almost like PP and others brands...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Thanks Milo, Ya learn something new every day!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 07:58 AM

Yep we all learn something new every day, Milo I sent you a privet message if you get a chance please respond, Thanks

aussiejodi,

Is it possible that if can post the model Number or a picture of your faucet, Thanks.

John
    dgpicker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Sounds like the cartridge is most likely worn and rounded off, and will need replacing. Repair is relatively simple.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Hello Dgpicker,

Welcome to the plumbing website, you responded to a 3 years old tread, always check the date on left upper corner before you answer a thread, Thanks.

John
    dgpicker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
    Thks. Noticed that after I posted. Woops!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

How to install a single handle shower faucet [ 5 Answers ]

My shower has separate hot and cold water, I want to install one single handle. Do I need to do anything with the plumbing?

Moen Single Handle faucet lubricant [ 2 Answers ]

I am changing out the cartridge on a Moen single handle positemp shower faucet. I am wondering what type and how much lubricant I should be using on the cartridge prior to inserting it in the "pipe". The package seems to be concerned about using silicaon lubricant.

Need to replace broken shower faucet handle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 handle shower faucet system. The hot water handle recently broke off just leaving the metal shaft with a phillips head screw at its end. If I turn this screw counterclock wise to remove it, the hot water turns on. What is my procedure to remove and replace this handle with a new one? ...

View more questions Search