Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VikingLS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 10:00 AM
    How to connect two switches in same box
    I need help determining how to wire a double gang box that has four wires coming into it. It will contain two switches, one switch will go to a ceiling fan, and the other to a recessed lighting fixture. The box is in the middle of a circuit, as the power source comes from one receptacle in the circuit and there is another wire that goes out to the last receptacle in the circuit.

How do I wire the switches in the box, ensuring that I get power to both fixtures as well as the last receptacle in the circuit?

I have attached a drawing to depict what I am talking about - thanks!
    Attached Images

ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
    1. Hot lead from 'in' to hot lead from 'out' AND one terminal from each switch
    2. The other terminal from the fan switch to A
    3. The other terminal from the light switch to B
    4. All neutrals together
    5. All grounds together
    VikingLS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Related questions:

What type of switches do I buy to do this?
    I am still confused about how to do 1-3, can it be drawn out for me (sorry, newbie)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
    What sort of switches do you want? Ordinary $0.50 on/off toggle switches are fine, or you can add a dimmer for the light and a speed switch for the fan.

I'm not good with diagrams but I'll try.

However if this seems over your head you might want to consider calling an electrician.
    vexation Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 18, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Hello
    I have found great help on Home Improvement - Do It Yourself - Home Remodeling | BobVila.com for all types of home improvement questions sign up and surf -- free
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV switches off [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have a hitachi regular TV about 23 inch. The problem is it keeps switching it self off to stand by when we are watching it. We've taken the batteries out of the remote but still occurs and checked the plugs. Any ideas on how to fix it, would be a great help Thanks The boys at...

Switches on and then off [ 13 Answers ]

When switching on my PC, it starts up, the screen flashes and then it goes off again. I tried starting in safe mode, same thing happens, it just starts up and then goes off and there is nothing, completely dead I am using Windows XP I have tried taking all the plugs out and putting back in -...

Hot Switches [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I've recently purchased a warehouse formerly inhabited by a carpenter. He installed what initially appeared to be a functional electrical system with a well-labelled breaker box. At some point, I noticed a hot dimmer switch and quickly realized that all the overhead dimmer switches heat...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

View more questions Search