Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ummike93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Hampton Bay Fan/Light doesn't work
    I have a 3-year old Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/Light with fluorescent bulbs and remote control. A few months ago, one of the bulbs fell out. After I replaced it, I have had problems ever since with both the fan and light. Basically, after a few minutes of operation (either fan or light), it starts 'strobing' - clicking on and off. The longer it goes on, the shorter amount of time it takes to start strobing (again, this happens with both the fan and the light). There are audible clicks every time this happens.

I've checked the electrical connections and they're fine. The remote has new batteries so that isn't the issue either.

I'm wondering if it is even worth it to try and fix it (I'm thinking it is something with whatever 'brains' this thing has) or if I should just forget it and buy another one (from another manufacturer!)

Any suggestions?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 08:39 AM
    It does sound like a problem with the receiver.. . But rather than repair it I would just take the entire fan back to Home Depot for a replacement under warranty. Or, as you said, buy a better brand of fan!

BTW, if you want some info on picking a quality fan next time around, :

Frequently asked ceiling fan questions - Ceiling Fans N More
    ummike93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Thanks for the advice. So the warranty on these in longer than 3 years? Will I need the receipt?
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Hampton Bay fans have a lifetime warranty if I recall correctly. Besides if you don't have the receipt they won't know when you bought it!

Their policy states you shouldn't need a receipt for replacement (exchange) under warranty.. . Sometimes you will get a cranky person at the counter who will try and argue with you. You can either argue with them, or go back when someone else is working!
    FANtastic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Does your fan remote have light dimming capability? Also, when replacing your fluorescent light, did you purchase a fluorescent light that is specifically made to work with dimmers? If not, then your light difficulties might be caused by the replacement fluorescent bulbs you purchased.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Actually, it is the ballast that is made to work with dimmers, not the bulb itself. You need to make sure you have the proper bulb for the fixture, ballast included.
    Doug Elkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Ceiling fan only runs in reverse and not in forward.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2006, 06:18 PM
    What model fan? How is it controlled?
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 5, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling fan for anniversary about 4 years ago and the motor on the fan has been making noise. Will not turn fan on anymore due to this problem. Should we take it to Home Depot and get it replaced under warranty? Of course at this time we do not have a receipt but do have the box that it came in. thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 06:26 PM
    You can try, they've been stricter about it. First I would open it up and look for anything that might be causing the noise, see:

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hampton bay motor not working, lights work [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I just installed a new hampton bay carriage house II 52" ceiling fan with light assembly (no remote; pull strings for lights and fan, and two position fan switch). I used the wiring from a previously existing ceiling light. I tested the wiring by running them to a grounded plug assembly,...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/Remote SWITCH WILL NOT WORK [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed all new ceiling fans in the house. They are all Hampton Bay's with remotes. The one in the kitchen and dinning room work by both the remote and the switch. However, when I installed the ones in the bedrooms, the wall switches will not work. There is a "red" wire up in the...

Bathroom Fan Light Does Not Work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Nutone combination Fan/Light in my bathroom. Out of the blue, the light does not work but the fan still works. There is a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. I checked the bulb and it is OK. I checked the switch and it seems to work. I detected voltage on the hot...

Light won't work on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan installed, and the light on it quit working. I thought there was probably a problem with the light kit, but since I didn't like the fan, I replaced the whole thing with a new fan and light. The fan has always worked, but the light still doesn't. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Ceiling fan light doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up many ceiling fans with lights but this is the first time I have put one up without a light and then went and bought a light kit. (By the way there are two switches on the wall, one for the light and one for the fan). The ceiling fan worked perfectly and then I went to put the light...

View more questions Search