Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

May 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Milk Production
    Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My females teets are getting big. She had puppies 5 months ago, and they had almost gone back to normal up until she went into estrus. They usually get bigger after a heat cycle then go back down. She was in heat about 4 weeks ago they never really got big until now. I doubt it's a fake pregnancy seeing as it's been a while now and it usually happens right after. What I'm wondering is... I brought a kitten home it's about 5 weeks and I caught it nursing on her. Has anyone else seen this happen, where maybe it's instinct to produce milk from something nursing?
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 14, 2006, 10:45 PM
    We had a chihuahua that nursed kittens for over a year. She had one puppy and it died, then about a month later someone gave us an abandoned kitten and the dog adopted it and nursed it, then went on to " seragate mother" 4 other kittens. So yes this is a possibility. However, I would not rule out Mastitis, It generally doesn't affect every teat, but it can. If the dog has had a poor appitite, or fever at all this could be a reason.. the easiest way to tell is GENTLY squeeze a nipple and see if there is milk. If pus or anything else is discharged, it could be infection.. best bet have a vet check her out.

May 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
    That's interesting, it's probably from the kitten nursing then. It's not mastitis, her milk production from the puppies stopped a LONG time ago, the pups are now 6 months old. I asked the vet at my work if they could enlarge from nursing he said yeah probably from the stimulation. It's just very frustrating, I have them just about down all the way from the litter of pups now this happens lol, little stinker kitty.

May 16, 2006, 01:31 AM
    Oh but soooo cute! Take pictures!What a great poster for all those BSL jerks out there huh? :)

May 16, 2006, 10:38 AM

That's not your momma!

When kittens attack pit bulls

May 16, 2006, 05:19 PM
    OMG! That is so way tooooo cute! Thanks for posting these totally made my day!:D:D
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 17, 2006, 03:55 AM
    I've been sitting here watching this thread since it was first posted and omg I have to say those are the cutest pics!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Production Possibility Frontier question [ 5 Answers ]

Assume that England is producing at a ponit on its PPF. Specify whether the following events will cause a movement to another point along the frontier or a movement to a pont within the frontier. a) Truck-drivers block interstate highways in protest against lower speed limits for trucks. b)...

Production Possibility Frontier [ 2 Answers ]

Hi good people, can someone please explain to me why the PFF is concave to the origin but not straight.

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Production budget [ 0 Answers ]

Can someone please help me create a production budget using the following information. The sales department of Red Hawk Manufacturing Co. has forecast sales in March to be 20,000 units. Additional information follows: Finished goods inventory, March 1 3000 units Finsihed goods inventory...

Production efficiency [ 4 Answers ]

How to improve and increase production in simple steps?

View more questions Search