Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phylvessey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Heat exchanger on water heater
    I am attempting to install aheat exchanger on my water heater. The exchanger is straight forward. But the water heater will need equiptment and repiping. Pump, mixing valve, aqua-stat and mayby more. Looking to find diagram or sequence of equiptment. Any info more than I have now.
    Thanks Phylvessey
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
    This does not sound like a traditional hot water heater, can you give us more details regarding what you have?
    phylvessey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
    75 gal electric. Attempting to to use my boiler through a heat exchanger to heat domistic hot water. The boiler loop to the exchanger is set up. To run the water heater through it would require a pump circulating the water heater. A mixing valve to temper domistic hot out to house as boiler /exchanger temp is much to high. A device would be needed to turn on the pump at water heater temperature X. what is this device and how does it work.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
    I need to let Tom or Mark handle this since I do not work on boiler, I do drink them though.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Electric water heaters have built in thermostats that turn on the elements. I suspect that an immersion type thermostat would serve the purpose of starting the pump. And the valve you require for tempering the water I believe is a mixing valve. Consider going to that website: HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion - Powered by vBulletin. You will find experts there who can direct you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Phylvessey... just let me know that you are still around and I think I can draw you up a plan to do what you are looking to do.

I think you can use the thermostat to the lower element to run the pump and an aquastat to keep the boiler at correct temperature... but will need to think about it for a few!

Let me know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas heat exchanger won't start on Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old. York heat pump model GFD04821G with a G9YS100C20DH11H gas heat exchanger and York T8411R1443 thermostat that has been acting up the last few days. The other day I woke up with no heat. I looks like the installer set this system up so it uses the resistive heat coils for...

Noisy heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

Just had my heat exchanger replaced yesterday. Mades a loud banging noise after blower goes off technician says it must be faulty heat exchanger but I doubt it . Any knowledge aboutt what the real problem is??

Heat Exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas pack and I need to find out if the heat exchanger is under warranty. It is a comfortmaker, Mod# PGAA24DIKG, SN L973826975. I have found out that the SN is directly related to the systems warranty. The new part is about $600, and I would like to avoid this cost if it is warranted still.

Heat exchanger [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to find some one that can tell me were I can obtain a glow worm space saver 80BR Mk ll heat exchanger part No.418551 helppppppp [email protected]

View more questions Search