Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Yorkie puppies, fleas, and housebreaking
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any trouble housebreaking their yorkie? Mine will pee only in my bathroom and poops on the carpet in the living room. She won't use the puppy pads or anything... anyone have any ideas?

Also, she seems to have a bad infestation with fleas. I have tried a topical treatment that's like Advantix but it didn't work. Plus, I have tried a flea shampoo that my mom had from a vet's office. The lady that I bought her from told me to try bathing her in Dawn detergent. That, once again, did not work... anyone have any ideas on this one, too?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    fixius_ae Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Housebreaking is hard. I personally don't like puppy pads but I know some who do. I think it just teaches your dog its OK to go in the house. But any way a few suggestions would be to take your puppy out as often as you can, at least every 30 minutes to an hour. Your puppy will have to go to the bathroom eventually and as long as you take the puppy out frequently there will be a better chance it goes outside. If that doesn't work you can get something called an umbilical leash. It's a leash with a hook on each side. Attach one to your belt loop and one to your puppies leash. That way your puppy can't sneak off and go poo or pee when you aren't paying attention. But as soon as you see the signs, sniffing, circling, etc. take her out and get her to go outside. It may take awhile, its taken 10 minutes with my puppy before, but be patient. Also crate training is a keystone for housebreaking so make sure you are crate training your puppy.

As for the fleas, you may need to either go to your vet or call your vet ASAP. First of all, flea infestations can become very dangerous, especially with smaller animals. If your puppy becomes lethargic or starts acting like it doesn't feel well you need to go to the vet right away. You might want to try and take your puppy to a groomer tomorrow and tell them what is going on and get a flea dip. If that helps then get Frontline from the vet Monday and apply it right away. The flea stuff from Wal-Mart has never worked for any of my dogs. If that doesn't work call your vet first thing in the morning Monday. On another note, you also need to get the flea problem under control before you get a flea infestation in your home. Believe me its an awful thing to have fleas in your home and they don't leave easy!!

As long as you take care of everything ASAP you should be fine. I don't think there are fleas tolerant to every treatment out there! :D Good luck!
    McDina Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Sep 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Simple treatmeant for the fleas... (use ADVANTIX) it works great I have a rottweiler I know its not the same but I saw a tick on her when she was 9 weeks old and at that time I didn't take her outside (too young n Parvo had me scared) but since then I used ADVANTIX and I take her to dog parks let her play with all different type of dogs and todate she's 4.5 month I have not seen a single flea,tick, or any type of biting flea... it is expensive but it truly works..
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Thank you guys for your help. I have tried loads of things, but with your advice I can (hopefully) find something that works!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebreaking deaf boxer puppies [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have two deaf boxer puppies that I have had now for about a month. I am home most of the time with them and I take them out at least once an hour, but they still poop and pee in their bed(crate) a lot. The will even go potty on their bed that is in the crate for them. What am I doing...

My 2 day old puppies have fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I need help dose anyone know how I can help my 2 day old puppies get rid of fleas without making them sick.

Yorkie puppy housebreaking getting worse, not better [ 14 Answers ]

I adopted a 6-month-old Yorkie puppy last month, and am having a really hard time housebreaking him. He was kept in a pen before I owned him, and I'm sure got used to eliminating whenever he needed to. I've had him for about 4 weeks now and this most recent week has been by far the worst. What am I...

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

View more questions Search