Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Sep 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Blocking a website
    Hey everyone,

I hope you guys can assist me on this one. I had a virus and just recently got my computer back all fixed up. Months ago I had the same computer guy block certain websites so that I would not be able to access them. He did just that and all was fine until I got the machine backtoday and noticed that now I am able to access those websites.

Instead of paying him again to do what he did before is there anyway I myself could block these sites? Also, could I block them and not have access to unlocking them afterward? I know it sounds strange but any help would be much appreciated.

I want to block all the social networking sites, I get tempted to look at ex-girls and all that, not a good thing for me TRUST.

Thanks in advance.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Sep 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Here are a few options for blocking content on Windows:

K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software
    Free Internet Filtering Parental Control Software We-Blocker Safe Families
    Ur I.T. Mate Group - Product Support - B Gone

In addition, you can block certain pages and content in Internet Explorer, and Firefox has extensions like BlockSite and FoxFilter you can install.

If you're on a Mac, you can use FoxFilter on Firefox, and set parental controls to control content in Safari.
    rebel-2 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Sep 8, 2008, 04:10 AM
    yeahp what he said^. Also look at some Firefox extension they help as well (if you're using Firefox.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Don't get firefox3, use an older Firefox, cause firefox3 slowed down my browsing.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Sep 8, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs
    don't get firefox3, use an older firefox, cause firefox3 slowed down my browsing.
    That's odd - most people find that it's a very fast browser. I find it much faster than FF2, for example. Do you maybe have an older machine?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
    My FF3 is screaming fast.

Sep 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Yes, I have an hp510n:
    256mb ram
    1.2ghz celeron processor
    Winxp pro
    Software Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs
    yes, i have an hp510n:
    256mb ram
    1.2ghz celeron processor
    winxp pro
    It's NOT FireFox that's slowing down your browsing, you are using an operating system whose most MINIMAL requirements are 256mb. That means the OS is using ALL the memory all the time and everything YOU are doing is occurring the in swap space, that's the slowest possible reality.

Unfortunately the most memory you can put into your unit is 512mb.

Pavilion 510n  OEMPCWorld Memory Configurator

My suggestion is you add that ASAP. 512mb was the minimum I recommended to ANYONE using XP Pro, and 1 GB was best. Get what you can.

Your browsing experience will improve with more RAM, guaranteed.

Sep 10, 2008, 02:05 PM
    I totally agree about the ram... have been spending the money on other bills. However, when I was using Firefox 2.*, I didn't notice any speed problems. When I reinstalled winxp, I unthinkinly installed Firefox 3.*. I noticed slower browsing, and thought it was my system, so I kept closing everything to get more speed. Nothing helped, until I went and reinstalled Firefox 2.*. The speed was immediately back to what I remember it before reinstallation. By the way, thank you so much for the link!
    Software Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Hey, no problem. I love that website... use it every week.

And as for the computing experience, perception is reality, eh? Go with what works, that's what I say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blocking website dilema [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm trying to block a website, but when I go to syart I do not see a run button to press. What do I do.

Blocking a webpage not a website [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Just wondering how I can block a certain webpage without blocking the entire site; i.e. I want to block certain people's profiles on Facebook but I don't want to block the entire site so I can't use it! THanks! Sara

Blocking a website [ 2 Answers ]

Myspace.com I want it blocked to where no one can enter it on this labtop Destiny

Blocking Websites [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to block websites on internet explorer

Blocking a Website while on a proxy Server [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to block an individual website when someone is accessing it through a proxy server? I already have HOSTS files setup but they don't work when the computer is going through the proxy server. Thanks!- clara

View more questions Search