Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Captor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 07:47 AM
    2001 Honda Civic nearly stalls after cold start
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX. Here's the problem I've been trying to diagnose:

The problem only occurs after the engine has not run for ~8 hours.
    After starting, (starts just fine), the engine will go several (3-8) episodes where it will appear to "almost" stall:
    The rpms will drop to almost nothing and pushing the gas pedal does nothing.
    If the pedal is released, the engine will eventually recover after about 10 seconds or so.
    As I mentioned earlier, this process repeats about 3-8 times.
    This happens regardless of whether the car is being driven, or it is sitting in park.

Then, after it's last episode, the car runs fine until the next time it has sat for ~8 hours.

I've spent plenty of money guessing trying to fix this. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?

Here's what I've had done recently if it helps:
    New spark plugs
    New timing belt/water pump
    New catalytic converter
    Fresh oil change

Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Captor

I've spent plenty of money guessing trying to fix this. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it might be?

New spark plugs
    New catalytic converter
    Fresh oil change

Thanks
    These things that you've tried, who's ideas??

Most of today's cars have a very finely machined throttle body. Throttle bodies that meter air and allow the Engine Control Module (ECM) to adjust fuel through the injectors to provide the optimum mix at any engine temperature and load.
    Having the throttle body cleaned should be almost routine maintenance.
    It has nothing to do with how you drive or the brand or quality of fuel you use. It's just that the fine passages become dirty and require cleaning.

That cleaning can save a lotta hastles and could lead to better drivability during many miles of use.
    Try that and a lotta of starting and driving issues could/should disappear and you'll love your car again...
    tyr1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Captor

The problem only occurs after the engine has not run for ~8 hours.
    After starting, (starts just fine), the engine will go several (3-8) episodes where it will appear to "almost" stall:
    The rpms will drop to almost nothing and pushing the gas pedal does nothing.
    If the pedal is released, the engine will eventually recover after about 10 seconds or so.
    As I mentioned earlier, this process repeats about 3-8 times.
    This happens regardless of wether the car is being driven, or it is sitting in park.

Then, after it's last episode, the car runs fine until the next time it has sat for ~8 hours.

New spark plugs
    New catalytic converter
    Fresh oil change

Thanks

Hi,

I have had the exact problem for about 2 weeks now. I took the car to the mechanic, he did a tune up, replaced the fuel pump. I've also replaced the timing belt and waterpump since it was time.

The problems hasn't gone away.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tsoccer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 02:46 PM

I have ALSO had the same problem on my 2002 civic ex for about 3 months now. It seems to happen more on rainy days. If I turn the car off and on it won't happen again. I have gone to the shop and they can't figure it out. It was 0 C the other day and it Didn't happen, seems to only happen like 50% of the time after a cold start.

I have had maintenance and my fuel injectors professionally clean ~ did nothing
    tyr1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsoccer View Post
    I have ALSO had the same exact problem on my 2002 civic ex for about 3 months now. It seems to happen more on rainy days. If I turn the car off and on it wont happen again. I have gone to the shop and they can't figure it out. It was 0 C the other day and it DIDNT happen, seems to only happen like 50% of the time after a cold start.

I have had maintance and my fuel injectors professionally clean ~ did nothing
    I didn't manage to solve this problem and had to postpone it since I already spent too much. I've noticed however the following:
    -it happens less often after long drives (like 50-100 miles)
    -it usually doesn't happen on colder/dryer days (in the summer it was happening every morning but now only now and then)

Hope this helps someone. On the web people mention the EGR valve but I didn't get to check that.
    adaly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 09:06 AM

Hey that happened to me on my 2002 Honda. I finally got it fixed. After awhile my engine light finally came on and I took it to a garage and they ran a diagnotic check on it and it said it was my front 02 sensor, but the mechanic check it and he said it was fine and I only have 23,000 miles on my car. So he said my battery voltage was really low and I should replace the battery to see if it would fix the problem. HE was right. My car is back to normal. You should try a new battery. Good Luck!
    tsennott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2010, 10:37 PM

ANyone else have luck with the battery thing? I've had this same problem for a while, and have read lots of similar stories with NO one reporting success at resolving it until now. It just so happens I have a pretty dead battery too, so I'm wondering if that's what it could be. Think I'll try that, but does anyone else have any news on this seemingly common issue? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's Honda Civic wouldn't start this morning. It started with her keyless entry not working and then when she tried to start the car, there was nothing. When I put the key in the ignition and put it in the "on" position, the dash lights flicker about 10 times and then come on like normal. ...

98 Honda Civic LX - Stalls, and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 door, american, 98 honda civic lx. It has a 1.6L engine with 157,000 miles and an automatic transmission. I have had the car about a year and a half and have been having serious problems for about the last year. My car shuts off while I am driving, while I am at stop lights idling,...

2001 Honda Civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My alarm is very faint, my dome light will turn on when I open my door, and when I turn the key in the ignition, the dash lights all light on and there is a continuous clicking noise in the engine. What could be wrong?

2001 honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 honda civic 1.7 dx manuel recently it was broke into and they stripped out were you place the key in the ignition. Well I replaced the ignition unit and connected all the wires to the ignition that I disconnected. Now the engine will rotate but not start does anyone know anyway I...

View more questions Search