Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpt123svt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Pit bulls
    Are pit bulls illegal in the state of Ga? My neighbor just got a pit bull boxer mix and they have it fenced up with chicken wire. I live in the country in a mini sub division. I have an older dog and a mini pom. I also have 3 small children that I am afraid to let them outside. I asked her if it was good with children and she said that she didn't know and she would find out when her 3 year old came to visit. Who could I call to find out for sure? I want to do something now before it attacks my children or someone's else kids or animals. Thanks.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Try calling your local animal control office. Not to necessarily file a complaint, but they can tell you if there's any violation.

I, too, live in a rural subdivision - in the "county" (not city), and our animal control out here is the sherrif.

P.S. Awsome that her 3 year old will be the "guinea pig"!! Sheesh!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
    There is no state law against it. There are many city ban, and there are many sub division rules.

And if it is in a small pen this could be abuse. But contact your animal control.
    wally4paige40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 09:17 AM

No there's not but if you have a pit bull dog you need to do research because they are the most dangerous of all dogs in the world and the deadliest. I myself was almost killed, had my face torn to pieces and left with my career gone and the dog never showed any anger towards me, I just went down one day and three years later I have nothing left and I am still fighting for my life and sanity, so you might want to think about getting a new dog , because I am a grown woman and I promise you that day has ruined my life and if you ,your family or it hurts or kills somebody else at least I'm telling you so. I can't work , I hurt inside and out and I'm at the end of my rope. Good luck , also though Ga has no ban and most states don't you will get suided and though I am in proscess after three years ,I just pray soon somebody helps me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wally4paige40 View Post
    no theres not but if you have a pit bull dog you need to do research because they are the most dangerous of all dogs in the world and the deadliest. i myself was almost killed, had my face torn to pieces and left with my career gone and the dog never showed any anger towards me, i just went down one day and three years later i have nothing left and i am still fighting for my life and sanity, so you might want to think about getting a new dog , because i am a grown woman and i promise you that day has ruined my life and if you ,your family or it hurts or kills somebody else at least im telling you so. i can't work , i hurt inside and out and im at the end of my rope. Good luck , also though Ga has no ban and most states dont you will get suided and though i am in proscess after three years ,i just pray soon somebody helps me.

This is your opinion and this is your experience. This is certainly not the law and you tell the same story anyone who has been badly mauled by any dog tells. As far as someone helping you - have you filed a lawsuit against the owner of the dog?

The worst dog attack I've ever seen? An Akita which literally ripped the scalp off a child. Second worse - a St. Bernard. The breed which I investigate most often - Labs. Why? Because there are more of them. I investigated a Cane Corso attack and the dog was (and this is no joke) insane.

I have German Shepherds. Half the World is afraid of them. I've never had anyone attacked or bitten or, for that matter, threatened. I trained my dogs and I work with them. You can't blame all pit owners for what you've been through. I personally am not a fan of pits - and I am basing that on one dog in my neighbor and realize that's not fair to the breed.

I'm sorry you've gone through this but you have not given legal advice. If you need support, why don't you post on one of the other boards? They have trained people over there who can help you.

As far as the legal part of this, as I said - sue the owner (but I trust you already have).
    krzekali89 Posts: 66, Reputation: 8

Dec 10, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I understand your concern however I have two pit bulls and they are excellent with my cousins. My one pit is 75 pounds and runs up to my 2 year old cousin and does nothing but lick her face. When he sees you he runs up to you jumps on you and gives you a hug. I just got another and he is just 7 weeks old and mmy older pit loves my younger pit. My older pit Hooch is his name loves my aunts pom. They roll around on the grass the pom will bite my hooch and hooch does nothing back. As long as your nieghbors are raising it right and not straving it or fighting it you honestly have nothing to worry about.

Pit bulls are not demons, unless they are raised that way. Just like any other dog.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krzekali89 View Post
    pit bulls are not demons, unless they are raised that way. just like any other dog.
    Exactly the breed is irrelevant, the trainer is everything. Although the owner seems a bit laissez faire so I could understand your concern there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 07:57 PM

If any animal is raised and cared and trained properly they will not be as dangerious. If this poor animal is pinned up, not trained, not loved,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bulls and insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has a pit bull. In our city they require insurance on one now. Does anyone know of a company in Ohio that will give my duaghter renters insurance and a rider for a pit bull?

Pit bulls [ 8 Answers ]

What should we do 2 stop the banning of pit bulls?

Pit bulls and mastiffs [ 6 Answers ]

Are pit bulls and mastiffs the same breed of dog? I was watching a show about dogs on animal planet and the narrator said at one point, "pit bulls or mastiffs..." as if the two words were synonymous. Anyway, just wondering. If they are the same breed, that's very interesting because as an artist...

Pit Bulls are pests! [ 101 Answers ]

To me the pit bulls are pests. I can't walk down an alley without worrying about getting bitten. When I see anything resembling a pit bull on a leash I am forced to take evasive action. In my opinion, they should be bred out of existence. Why aren't they?

Jordan's lowest scoring game with Bulls? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know: a) when this was? b) how many he scored? c) who was the other team? And d) who played defense on him? It's bugging the heck out of my roommate and I and Googled for about 30 minutes trying to find the answer. Thanks.

View more questions Search