Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suzzy3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 04:27 PM
    ESOP Penalites
    I am 59-1/2, If I withdraw some of my retirement money what penalties and taxes will I have to pay?
    Teresa51 Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2008, 10:02 PM
    At 59 1/2, there is no 10% penalty tax to pay on the federal return (that line shows up on the second page of your 1040). You will receive a form 1099-R from the company that issued you the retirement payment. On that 1099-R, a code will be entered on the form that should indicate that no penalty tax is applicable to the money you received. That's not to say you are not to pay INCOME taxes on that money.

The amt of federal income taxes you would have to pay are determined by whatever tax rate you pay when you add all your household income together, after subtracting your standard or itemized deductions and your personal exemptions. These deductions and exemptions COULD reduce your income to a point that you are not actually paying ANY federal income taxes at all. If you do have income that can be taxed (after the deductions) then you may be paying taxes of 10 to 33 percent. (If I remember correctly, 33% is the top tax rate)

Now this is only talking about your federal taxes. Depending on what state you live in will determine the amt of state taxes you would have to pay.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Theresa51's post is very accurate, though the top tax rate is 35%.
    Teresa51 Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 1, 2008, 01:20 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert, thanks for the confirmation! And the correction of the 35%!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdraw from esop [ 2 Answers ]

Can I withdraw from an esop program if I'm 100% vested but I no longer work for the company?

Tax pid in US under Employee Stock Options Scheme (ESOP) [ 2 Answers ]

I just sold few shares granted to me under ESOP scheme of US based company and I am based out of India. I understand the holding requirements and arising FBT if the holding requirements are not met. However, not sure how to claim the refund of capital gain tax withhold in US under DTAA agreement...

ESOP cash out, taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How much federal taxes will I pay on an ESOP worth $70,000 what is the percentage I would pay? Thanks for your help Cezar

401(k) & ESOP withdrawal penalties and tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I will be unemployed for the next 4 months so am having to cash out my 401k and ESOP to survive. I am leaving my current job August 3, and, if it matters, I will be leaving in order to student teach until December when I will get my degree. I will begin my next job in January,...

View more questions Search