Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    revtbk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Vent pipe for washing machine
    I am trying to determine if there is a vent pipe for a washing machine install on our second floor. We have expereinced a major leak on the floor and the ceiling below when the washing machine is draining. I am wondering if there is a vent pipe, which would be behind a wall, and if there could be a blockage in the drain forcing the water to over flow through the vent pipe.

Do you have a diagram of a typical vent pipe for a washing machine installed on a second floor?

revtbk
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Hey Revtbk:

If drain was clogged then water would overflow the drain pipe before it would interfere with the vent (vent is above the drain)... so most likely vent has nothing to do with leak.. ok?

Here's a couple of pictures of sink and washing machine drains/vents.

Does water show on the floor by the washing machine? Have you checked behind the machine and at the water valve itself or the WM hoses? Also should check where the drain hose itself connects into the drain. Eliminate the obvious first and then if nothing you may need to open the ceiling to determine issue.

Let us know more...

MARK
    Attached Images

jwbrenna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 03:38 AM
    Why is the vent split into 2 sections, I'm guessing that the main vent is for the basin and the 2nd vent is required for the washer. You can not share the main vent because adequate venting would not be available in case of simultaneous use of both fixtures? If my assumption is correct, it would be easier to just use a larger main vent to avoid the 2nd vent? Maybe a 3" instead of 1.5 " or 2"?
    Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 11:07 PM
    Jwbrenna states, "You can not share the main vent because adequate venting would not be available in case of simultaneous use of of both fixtures?"

Generally speaking, that statement is correct, Jwbrenna... :)

Your assumption, however, is incorrect and does NOT follow venting requirements for a washing machine drain/vent and wet venting principles. Here, in some cases, you can actually increase the vent size as you presented (called wet venting fixture(s)), but in this case you have a washing machine and a laundry sink and you CANNOT wet vent any plumbing fixture using a washing machine drain/vent, OK? In this case, the sheer volume and velocity of water that gets discharged from a washing machine (especially the newer models) will overwhelm the system and if the washing machine drain/vent wet vents another fixture (in this case a laundry sink) it can siphon the trap of the laundry sink when the washing machine drains and that can allow sewer gases to enter the home... an absolute No-No in basics of plumbing!

Questions? Let me know... glad to discus more if you want!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Stand Pipe re-do [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I've perused the various question and answers for washing machine stand pipes overflowing, adjacent sinks filling up etc. I've found a number of good solutions, however, I would like to get some opinions / suggestions for my particular instance. Background Summary - 30+ year old...

Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.) We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the...

Washing Machine Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Moving a washing machine to another room where a bathroom sink is on the wall behind where the washer is going. Wondering if I can tie into that existing drain and vent with out any issues? Or will I need to run new vent and drain line. The existing lines are 1.5 inch galv. Pipe. Thanks in advance...

Washing machine drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the pipe going into the main drain, the water is backing up onto the floor. Have checked for blockage and there is none. Any diagrams on how it should look Thanks Wayno

View more questions Search