Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danika24_30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Dating while separated.
    Does anyone know the laws about how long you have to be separated before you are free to date other people or even if you can date other people when you're separated? Do you have to be legally separated to be labeled separated?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Your free to date whenever your ready. You can even date your exes.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Sep 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Be careful. Some states like VA say you can't so long as you are married. It may be a point that a Judge will listen to if your ex brings it up -- more likely it will only make a difference if you "date" loads of people while you are still married and it effects the kids.

I used it against my ex in court. The judge didn't think the children should be exposed to that life. Our judge ordered no overnight visitation while he lived with his girlfriend.

I think it depends on the Judge, your ex and if kids are involved. It may be easer to wait until you are divorced.
    danika24_30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjonline
    Be careful. Some states like VA say you can't so long as you are married. It may be a point that a Judge will listen to if your ex brings it up -- more likely it will only make a difference if you "date" loads of people while you are still married and it effects the kids.

I used it against my ex in court. The judge didn't think the children should be exposed to that life. Our judge ordered no overnight visitation while he lived with his girlfriend.

I think it depends on the Judge, your ex and if kids are involved. It may be easer to wait until you are divorced.
    He's been dating other woman even before I mentioned divorce (yes, he's scum) and he has this new girlfriend since we separated back at the beginning of May of this year. I wouldn't say that I'm ready to date yet, but I just want to know my abilities while in this position.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Sep 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
    In that case I think it's a personal thing. Only you will know when you are ready. If you are going to claim "he was unfaithful" then you don't want to date. You also don't want to have boyfriends around the children; at least not at first and not until you are ready to say "I do" again. But like I said I think its personal and no one here can say your ready or not only you can do that.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjonline
    In that case I think its a personal thing. Only you will know when you are ready. If you are going to claim "he was unfaithful" then you don't want to date. You also don't want to have boyfriends around the children; at least not at first and not until you are ready to say "I do" again. But like I said I think its personal and no one here can say your ready or not only you can do that.

Not totally agreeing with that stance because it's not healthy to immediately introduce a new person to your kids as "mommys new husband" I think after a few months(4-5) of dating the person, you introduce the kids to your new "friend" simply as that. Mommy's new friend. Allow the kids to become comfortable around them and also to see how he reacts around the kids. After doing so with some time, then introduce him as mommy's boyfriend. Then see how the relationships grow on the kids and your new s/o as well
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 03:07 PM
    The longer you are separated, the less effect it will have on any child custody issue, short of that, it has little effect.
    Now you are suppose to wait till the term "divorced" is done, but in today's society that is seldom done, Many a few months and they start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old must a pug puppy be separated from its Mom? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it okay to separate a pug puupy from its mother if its only 2 months and 1 week old. The breeder told us that its okay as long as its not less than 2 months old. Is this true?

Divorced or separated [ 11 Answers ]

We do not know if a friend is divorced or separated she will not say. I odd thing is her husband and her kids live a minute walk away from each other. Have you ever heard of ex's living this close?:)

Separated 5 years [ 2 Answers ]

I have been living separate from my husband for just about five years. I live in Ohio. He does not want to divorce me. Can I be requested a divorce based on the fact that we have been apart for so long?:confused:

View more questions Search