Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doninez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Tile over acrylic shower floor
    I'm am wanting to tile over a acrylic shower floor and need to know what tile adhesive would be best to use or would it be better to tear it all out and start over?
    The acrylic floor is very slippery when wet and a little soap/shampoo gets on it and there is a fall hazard. I have tried non-slip sticky strips but they will not stay on very long.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 22, 2008, 06:29 AM
    I doubt you will get a good a bond between the acrylic base and the tile. Does the acrylic floor move at all when you are standing on it? The right thing to do would be to buy a pre-fab base that has a good texture on it or build a custom pan for tile. Pre-fab is way easier.
    doninez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Thanks amricca, shower size is custom and floor seems to be solid but than again it's acrylic and probably moves under weight. I'm trying to avoid remodel as the house is only 7 years old but can't afford a trip to the ER either.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Yea, I hear that. I use those sticky things in my tub too and they do peel off sometimes. You could install a grab bar, won't help the slipperyness but gives you something to hold on to.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Amricca is correct, there will be flexing in the floor and very poor bond. I hesitate to suggest a fiber glass paint with sand mixed ion since this will become a maintenance issue, but it won't be slippery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-Tile Shower Floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help and can't find any scenarios that don't refer to full shower pan replacement. I have 3 year old shower that does not leak but had badly cracked grout and a few floor tiles from a foundation shift. (yes, that bad.. I fixed drywall corners up one whole side of the house! Got...

Can I Tile over an acrylic shower pan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing a shower... have removed all old tile, cleaned out mold, and was hoping to pull out the shower pan and put in tile. I have been attempting to get the drain out but now after reading this website I realize that may be a bit more difficult than I had hoped. Is it...

Tile a shower floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. It an an existing fiberglass shower basin. It is not cracked put it is discolored. I don't want to make a new basin. I was wanting to know how to use the existing basin and tile it with 1" travertine tiles. On the walls I am putting 12" travertine tiles.

Shower Stall tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

I converted a standard tub area with a tiled shower stall. The floor of the shower stall is tile. Under the floor tile the guys that did the work put cement board and then laid the tile directly on the cementboard. The grout keeps coming out and some of the tiles are loose. We pried them out,...

First Floor Shower Tile Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Got My Shower Re-done And Its All Tile Top To Bottom. We Have Tile Floor. We Have A Leak Where The Tile From The Floor Meets The Tile Step To The Shower, I Looked And Saw A Hole In The Grout Where I Think It Is Coming From. We Don't Hear Any Constant Running Water Or Anything, Is It...

View more questions Search