Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yankeegirl123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Can't get the cartridge out of Moen faucet in tub to clean it.
    I can't get any cold water out of faucet in the tub. How can I get the cartridge out to clean it? We have tried everything to get it out and it won't budge.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I suppose you have single handle Moen faucet... If that's the case, than you can buy Moen cartridge removal tool at Home Depot. Also, make sure you removed the "U" pin that holds cartridge inside the body. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it out even with the tool... Good luck... Let us know how you did !

Aug 20, 2008, 07:19 PM
    We did take out the pin. We finally got it out but the instructions say it should sound like a spray paint can when you shake it and it doesn't. Is there something we need to do to get it apart and clean it?
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
    When you shake with the cartridge, it should sound like there is a metal ball inside the cartridge - just like when you shake a can of spray-paint. But actually, there is a small piston-like piece of metal, a balancer, that makes your valve pressure balanced. If you cannot hear it moving inside the cartridge than you have mineral build-up inside that prevents piston from sliding from side to side. You can try to dip it in LDC liquid. It can be purchased in food supermarket. Submerge cartridge in the liquid for several minutes. If it won't get loose, than purchase new cartridge. Home Depot sells them for about $15.00.

Aug 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
    I will probably need a new one. We have well water that is very hard and it has ruined the cartridge. Is it not covered under the warranty with Moen?
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Sure, that may be the case. We usually replace Moen cartridge automatically every time there is a drip or any kind of malfunction. We don't service them. They are relatively inexpensive... Good luck to you !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard-to-remove moen 1248 faucet cartridge [ 10 Answers ]

How do I remove hard-to-remove moen 1248 faucet cartridge?

Remove Moen tub faucet cartridge [ 14 Answers ]

Hi folks, I have a single handle Moen tub faucet that I'm trying to do some work on. A little description first. My bathtub faucet is teardrop shaped with the point of the teardrop pointing towards the floor. So when looking at it the writing is actually upside down. So to turn on the water...

Installation of Moen faucet cartridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old Moen bath/shower combination faucet. I had to replace the cartridge due to a leak. Now I cannot get enough water to go to the shower head. When I pull the diverter in the faucet the water pressure seems to be too great for the diverter to work and I get just a dribble of...

Need instruction on cartridge removal for Moen bath faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub in the guest bath has a single lever controlled faucet and we just recently realized that there is no hot water coming out when you turn it all the way to hot. It's just a dribble and it's cold. Judging by most of the reponses to this question it would appear our first step would be to try...

Moen cartridge style tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My tub faucet was leaking and I replaced the cartridge (took me all day to figure it out!) Now I only get lukewarm water. I've read the other posts on this repair and my faucet (when it worked) used to pull out and you would turn it one way for hot, the other for cold. Inside the handle is one...

View more questions Search