Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jelise2006 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Dizzy when around elevator
    I work in a 4 story building and when I enter the building, just standing in front of the elevator waiting, I get dizzy. Once Im on the elevator, Im dizzy. When I go to the building across the street, I get dizzy as soon as I stand in front of the elevator. I can understand getting dizzy ON the elevator... but I not only get dizzy on the elevator, but get dizzy just standing by the elevator doors. Strange I know. Its so strange. What do you think?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 02:38 PM
    I think it must be some kind of energy vibes and maybe low blood pressure or something
    I had the same problem in February but I also felt like I was going down on a roller coaster without even getting on it either.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Ya think it could be that you are going from the outside to the inside... basically I mean the temperature difference? Does this happen when you step in front of the elevator on the fourth floor where you have been all day in the constant temp?

Aug 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I can be inside.. all day... and when I go in front of the elevator... or in the elevator... I get a dizzy feeling.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Are you claustrophobic?

Aug 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
    No. Not clostrophobic at all.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Maybe something akin to a panic attack.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I think my main problem was I was feeling rushed faster than I was going sort of like a panic/anxiety attack but not quite the same.
    sweety Posts: 77, Reputation: -1

Aug 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
    You need to go see the doc,sounds like you are claustrophobic or having an anxiety or panic attack
    sweety Posts: 77, Reputation: -1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:33 AM
    You could also be suffering from anaemia which explains the fainting

Aug 26, 2008, 04:28 AM
    All----I never faint or fainted. Also.. I am not closterphobic. I feel really heavy in my feet and kind of dizzy... when standing by the elevator... or inside the elevator. Also.. kind of a sick feeling. But... I haven't fainted.. nor am I closterphobic. I recently had an mri... and was totally fine in that thing. I have never been closterphobic or fainted. Did I write that somewhere... that I fainted?
    sbarra503 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
    I know exactly what you are talking about. For some reason these people aren't getting it. I don't faint but I get extremely dizzy when I just stand and wait for the elevator. (not inside the elevator). I am curious also.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
    No, you never said faint, and I do think people are getting it. Claustrophobia and quasi-panic attack would have topped my list of guesses also.
    This happens to me on elevators, but I am claustrophobic.
    Perhaps the dizziness standing in front of the elevator is as simple as anticipation of the dizzy-light headed feeling you know you are about to experience.
    kc1551 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
    This post was a long time ago, but I just came across it because I'm trying to research the same thing for myself. I think it might be an EMF sensitivity. I had the same feeling the other day outside, I then realized I was standing under a large cluster of heavy power lines. But yes, it's a heaviness, like gravity changes or something. It feels weird to jump even... and makes you feel slightly nauseated because of the shift...
    Pacart0013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 09:38 AM
    I do the same thing. I can be on the backside of an elevator shaft and not realize it until I get dizzy.
    Dar3652 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 06:03 AM
    I have always been dizzy waiting for elevators but I never researched it before. I just researched this topic last night because I had a MRI yesterday. I walked into the room and felt the same pressure and was very lightheaded and very dizzy. This same feeling waiting for the elevator only worse maybe in the small room. I was not really dizzy when they did the MRI but it was the room itself. Im wondering if it had to do with magnets? Has anybody else ever had this?
    paulygforfree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2013, 11:48 PM
    I get the dizzyness when standing in front of an elevator. I also get it on a lower level around tall buildings. I feel relieved though know that I am not alone.
    PowerMiser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
    I have a mild vertigo when standing in front of ANY elevator. I only recently realized that it was related to standing next to an elevator. It is so light that I used to pass it off as a queezy feeling such as drinking green tea causes. I have asked others and have found that they experience it too. I have felt to see if air was coming from around the door and blowing on me, but no. I wonder if it has to do with the strong EMFs. I would like to test the EMFs and also need to test the floor to see if it may move due to the mechanical action of moving the elevator.
    Sherritini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2013, 11:26 AM
    I just started noticing the same feeling this year. I will be standing in front of a closed elevator door and I get a little dizzy/light headed. I was never aware of this feeling before. I am not claustrophobic, nor do I have anxiety attacks. I am a 61 year old woman. Does age or sex have anything to do with it?
    Poetic1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2014, 07:18 AM
    I have the same thing. Anytime I'm near an elevator, whether I'm aware of the elevator shaft or not, I get dizzy. I'm not dizzy on the elevator itself however. I've been stuck in an elevator before. No panic Sometimes it's worse than others. Last night I was at the Sheraton and after exiting the elevator I stopped to put on coat and gloves around the side in the lobby. I got so dizzy. I just try and increase my distance from the elevator shaft as soon as possible. One person told me I must have a sensitivity to the building swaying. No one else seems to get it. In any event I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Elevator Fear [ 9 Answers ]

>.< I HATE HATE HATE HATE elevators. So much. And today made it even worse. I went to the hospital ot visit my grandma, so I tell my mom "I dont want to take the elevator, lets take the stairs" she says no and we go in the elevator, there's people in it and whatever. So it's a 2 door...

Elevator [ 2 Answers ]

What is the force (in Newtons) used if an elevator lifts passengers 30 meters in 24 seconds and the elevator is 15,000 watts?

Bucket elevator design [ 3 Answers ]

Let me know the procedure to calculate the torque & hp for bucket elevator/

How can I get over my elevator feer? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Well Thursday I have an appointment with my dentist but in order to see him I need to take a elevator ( DUN DUN DUN) I have a sick fear of elevators and I have been panicking for a week... I feel that its just going to get stuck and no one will come to help. I don't want be trapped...

Elevator Power. [ 7 Answers ]

A 550 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 5.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s. (a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period? W (b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its...

View more questions Search