Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    devsk1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Foreign bank interest
    Hi,
    I have a foreign bank account. Are interests earned require taxes to be paid when the bank in the foreign country is already withholding taxes?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:42 PM
    On your U.S. return, you must report your worldwide income. You will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
    In the United States, all earned income must, by law, be accounted for. If the foreign country withholds taxes, that would also show on your 1040.
    Such taxes paid would then be a legitimate allowance to be deducted from taxes paid to the I.R.S.

Such income, earned abroad, would be subject to taxes by the U.S... and any taxes paid on it would be a deduction. But, if not sufficient taxes paid to the foreign country meet the U.S.'s normal tax rate, you could be hit with further taxes owed by the U.S.

Generally all countries have agreements with Washington about how much can be earned in foreign lands without payment of taxes to Washington.

An example, many Canadians, Snowbirds, spend 6 months in Florida and other southern climes during the winter months. In effect, they are earning money by many avenues, but mostly through pensions and investments, and not a penny is paid in taxes to the U.S.
    They are taxed at home... as though they never left.
    The U.S. has mentioned many times, it would like to tax these individuals because of the time they spend in the U.S. and no matter how they earn money, they earn it while living in the U.S.
    Canada has an agreement with the U.S. about such away from home living and treat each others visitors as not taxable as long as it is not "earned income" in the country so visited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign interest [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, Reading some of the postings I realize I should have reported the interest on my foreign savings account on my 2005 and 2006 tax return (I am an F-1 student filing as resident alien since 2005). I checked the figures and because of this neglect I received about $8 too much of a refund...

Tax deduction for interest on foreign loan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a Swedish citizen living in Sweden and I am in the process of buying an apartment in NYC. I will be subletting the apartment for most of the year and my questions are: 1) How much is the tax on the income from the subletting? 2) If I finance the purchase with a loan from my bank in...

US tax requirements on foreign bank interest [ 1 Answers ]

Hello tax helper, I am a US citizen who went to medical school in Canada. After graduating in 2005, I sold my apartment and kept all the money in a Canadian funds GIC account. I have earned several thousand in Canadian dollars in 2006. I am trying to figure out what my tax obligations are to...

US Tax on foreign property? Interest Deduction? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen (US Marine) who has a Swedish Wife (with Green Card). We have bought a house in Sweden. We pay Swedish taxes on the house, and the rental income. Do I have a tax obligation to the IRS? Can I deduct the mortgage interest on my US Taxes? Any advice greatly...

Foreign Tax on you.S. Bank Interest [ 1 Answers ]

To Atlanta Tax Expert Thank You for your response

View more questions Search