Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frank1946 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Freezing Blackberries from Garden
    I just picked Blackberries. How do I get them ready for the freezer?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I don't know what all you can do other than rinse them and put them in a freezer bag unless you want to make jellies and syrups with them first.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
    You can just pick over them to get rid of any little bugs or leaves in there add about 2T sugar to a pint of fruit and toss in the freezer. IQF {individually quick frozen} fruit is nice too if you have the space to do it: Put the berries in a single layer, unwrapped, on a pizza pan or pie plate in the freezer. As soon as they freeze solid you can then pour them like marbles into a big freezer bag with the sugar. Like this you will be able to pour just a couple at a time out to use them like sticking them on your breakfast cereal, without them being frozen together in a big lump. [I would only use unwashed berries if they are organic or otherwise you're sure they have not been sprayed.]
    Karle Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Also a good way to keep your blackberries "firm" after frezzing you can freeze them down indvidually in ice cube trays, this will help to stop a soggy mush when they defrost!:)
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2008, 07:18 PM

Don't add the sugar like the guy up there said if you do your berrys will lose all their juices.just single layer in a gallon size plastic bag and freeze it 1 bag at a time so you can stack them without squishing them then when you thaw them you may want to use sugar to bring out their flavor cause they will be watery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garden Hose Left Hooked Up Outside in Freezing Weather [ 2 Answers ]

I saw today that our garden hose was hooked up to the outdoor faucet even though there is several inches of snow on the ground. So I thought I better unhook it. I had to run a quick errand so I asked my wife to look up a way to remove a frozen hose. I came back and she had poured hot water...

Cat in my Garden [ 9 Answers ]

I live in a condo development, my neighbor and I both have indoor cats, but we let our cats out by the pool area, her cat then proceeds to make his litter box near my enclosed patio. I am dealing with the odor of his urine. I have asked the neihbor to keep the cat out of my immediate area or...

Home and garden [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a manahtee- mailbox at a reasonable price.

Cat dirt in my garden [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.

View more questions Search