Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stoli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Looking for Standard shower valve replacement parts
    I have a vintage single-handle Standard shower valve that is leaking. The plumber tells me that Standard was very high-end in its day, and there aren't any replacement parts available. The house was built in 1929, and I still have the pedestal sink, tub and toilet. If I can't find the repair kit for the shower valve, the second choice is to tear out the vintage tile and wall. Any suggestions where to find the replacement valve? What was the seal material inside this valve?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2008, 08:43 AM
    This wouldn't be "American Standard" would it? Back to you, Tom

Aug 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
    No, Standard came before American Standard. My house and bathroom are 1929 vintage, and that is too old to be American Standard. The marks on the toilet, sinks and eschutcheon on the shower valve are imprinted with the word "Standard".
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoli
    vintage single-handle
    That sounds like a contradiction in terns. Do you mean a three piece faucet, two valves and a spout? What's leaking, what part do you need, washer, seat, stem packing?

Aug 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
    No, what I mean is that I have one, single-handle shower valve. There is one faucet (or water spout) with a diverter valve for shower or tub delivery of water. The name on the escutcheon is "Standard", the manufacturer. The handle on the valve turns clockwise for hot water, and turns counterclockwise for cold and off. There is a single stem style valve. The plumber tells me that "Standard" plumbing fixtures were very high-end fixtures in their day, and so there aren't that many replacement parts available, if any. The plumber doesn't want to take out the stem of the valve until he knows that he has the replacement part if removing the valve makes the leaking worse. The alternative is to remove a wall of beautiful vintage tile that matches the orchid-color tub, pedestal sink and toilet and replace the entire valve assembly instead of just replacing the valve stem, which is leaking.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2008, 01:26 PM
    The plumber doesn't want to take out the stem of the valve until he knows that he has the replacement part if removing the valve makes the leaking worse.
    I don't see where he has any choice. What's he got to lose? Google doesn't recognize the Standard Corporation or the shower valve and if he can't replace the "O" rings he's going to hafta replace the shower valve in the end anyhow.
    The alternative is to remove a wall of beautiful vintage tile that matches the orchid-color tub, pedestal sink and toilet and replace the entire valve assembly instead of just replacing the valve stem, which is leaking.
    If it comes to that you can take out the wall behind the tile and replace the shower valve and save your tile. Sorry but if I were your plumber I would have at least opened up the valve just to see what I had to deal with. Good luck, Tom

Aug 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Could you post a picture of that valve.

Aug 17, 2008, 02:53 PM
    The tile around the shower is in a "U" shape, and there is tile on both sides of the wall. The toilet sets on the other side of the "U" shaped wall. What the plumber is saying is that I should have my ducks in a row BEFORE taking out the valve if taking the valve out for inspection makes the leak worse or breaks. In his opinion, he could remove the valve to see what the seal inside is, but if removing the valve makes the leak worse, he doesn't want to turn the water off to the whole house while he searches for a valve, which he doesn't think exists. In the event of the worse case scenerio he wants me to find a tile contractor that can cut and preserve the tile so that he can replace the whole valve assembly. I am hoping to avoid this scenerio If you would like to send me an e-amil address, I can send a photo. Do you want the photo with the eschution off?

Aug 17, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Post picture buy clicking "Go Advance" below, click Manage attachments, browse for picture then, open. Click upload. There is a size limitation, if upload fails because of size use Paint to reduce size. JPEG is best format.
    Brian1967 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Dear Stoli,

I have the same issue and the same plumbing. The house was build in 1939. All the plumbing parts are stamped with "Standard". My shower/bath consist of a shower head, bath facet, a one arm shower diverter, and two separate knobs (hot & cold) below the shower diverter that controls the bath facet.

As a result of leaking from the shower head, I opened up the shower diverter to investigate. Inside the shower diverter I discovered a screw like device attached directly to the one arm controlling water flow. At the end of this screw like device I found two separate plugs (hot & cold) nestled into cradled slots. When the diverter is closed these plugs fit into the water supply lines (opposite when open) to shut off the water. I found that the rubber bushing on these plug were worn allowing water to escape into the diverter chamber and ultamtely out of the shower head when closed. I bought flat rubber washers at Home Depot and slide them over the old bushings on the plugs. I used silicone to seal up the diverter chamber when I was finished. It would appear that this is working when the diverter is closed for now. No leaks of any type reported.

I love to know where I can purchase old "Standard" plumbing parts. Anyone... My search as turned up nothing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard Shower Valve [ 10 Answers ]

I have a single lever (actually a rotating knob) American Standard valve. It's stuck so that it doesn't allow any hot water (cold is fine) to pass. Last time this happened (that was about a year ago -- this particlar shower doesn't get used much), the plumber removed the face plate, took out a...

Need compact shower valve replacement [ 2 Answers ]

We had to remove a Kohler shower valve because it was leaking, and are now Having trouble replacing it with a valve that fits the available space. The Old valve was a Kohler 42049. That part is no longer available, and is Replaced by Kohler 78655. Unfortunately the external diameter of the...

Tub/shower valve replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced a tub/shower valve with a moen 2 handle valve. I cannot seam to turn off the water to the shower head. When I push the lever down on the tub spout, the shower will not shut off. Thewater pressure slows down slightly but does not shut off at the shower head. Just my luck, that...

Replacement parts for old shower door mounts [ 1 Answers ]

I need the wheel fixture that mounts the shower doors. They are at least 10 years old. The part is about 3-4 inches long with a wheel at one end the other end is inserted in the door frame then fastened in place through the side of the door with a "headless" screw by an Allen wrench. HELP!! I...

Replacement knobs for American Standard shower [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find replacement knobs for an old American Standard shower? There are two knobs, hot and cold.

View more questions Search