Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Porkgizzard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Pulling baby teeth
    My daughter has rotten teeth. She just had to go in and have a stub removed from a terrible decayed tooth. All four of her top teeth are rotting away. I say just pull all 4 rather than pay for baby teeth that will fall out in a couple years. She is 3 1/2 now.

Please advise:(

Porkgizzard
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Are the other three beyond saving in any way? Does the dentist say she will most likely lose them anyway in a short period? What does he say?
    If nothing can be done to save them and they don't have a chance of surviving another year then maybe it would be best because bad teeth can put toxins in your system.

Do you know what caused the problem?
    Lack of calcium & vitamins, poor diet, fluoride Fluoride Deception — Blogs, Pictures, and more on WordPress,
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Poor baby, so sorry. How come you hadent noticed that she had a problem? Does she have a problem with her enamel. May want to talk to an orthpdontist before teeth are pulled . May need spacers. Just remember pulling teeth will affect her speech and self esteem. Most children don't start losing teeth until theyy are about six.
    Porkgizzard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 11:36 AM
    She probably got it from nursing until she was 18 months and sleeping in bed with us. Bottle rot the way nature intended I say as his brothers are doing the same thing. Do not mention this to my wife as she is a very defensive attached parent.

I had bad teeth when I was little but my adult teeth are excellent. We knew she has problems and we took her to the dentist about 2 months and he for $65 referred us to a kids dentist. Times are tough this year and I am in sales we have been planing to get it all done in the next few months. Today's $340 went on the ever over used credit card. I am just disgusted over $340 going on 1 tooth and thought they could have gotten all the work done at one shot either way.

Smiles
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Sometimes you have to bite the bullet for your children's health care. There are plenty of things in daily life you can give up to pqay for her care. Unless you confront your wife about the feeding issue you will discover the same occurrence with your other children. Forget the money aspect, can you imagine the pain your child must be in.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Nursing should not rot the teeth unless your wife wasn't keeping up on her vitamin supplements. A bottle to go to sleep with will rot the teeth, my friend had to have all her kids teeth pulled when she was 2 because of always going to bed with a bottle.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
    It depends on how badly decayed her teeth are. If it's possible to save them, that would be the best choice as the baby teeth guide the adult teeth into place. You may be looking at pulpotomies (like root canals) and possibly crowns on them. The dentist should be able to give you the options that are available.
    Tooth decay is still possible when child is having breast milk. Make sure your daughter isn't sucking on a bottle of juice, milk or pop (yes, I've seen mothers put pop in bottles!) between meals. The only thing that should be offered is water.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Back in the days when I was a stupid young mother, I allowed my first child to go to sleep at night with a bottle of milk. When he was 18 months old, he had to be admitted to the hospital (on the advice of a pedodontist we trusted) to have chrome crowns fitted onto the majority of his front teeth. Until his permanent teeth came in, he had a silver smile. I got smart about a lot of things when my second child was born.

(My own mother has always said she should have thrown away the first kid who was the unlucky experiment. And I was the first kid... )
    jjunk247 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2008, 09:32 AM
    The thing with pulling out all the teeth at this age is speech problems. Right now they are still learning how to form words and such. She will almost guaranteed need to be put in a speech class to correct the problem later on
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2008, 03:03 AM
    You sound as an irresponsible parent... first of all you didn't see the problem when it started and then when it needs proper treatment you are backing out by thinking of getting them extracted,hope you have read the above posts and know the pros and cons of extraction and treatment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulling teeth [ 11 Answers ]

I am gettign teeth pulled soon ( not sure which ones but ones I nthe back, a baby one and I don't know, but I know I'm getting them pulled) I was wondering 1. Does it hurt? If so, how much? Horrible pain that would make you cry? Or just soreness, like after getting braces? 2.Is there a...

Pulling Wisdom Teeth [ 7 Answers ]

My Dentist told me I have some decay on one of my wisdom teeth (I have all 4) and I should get them all removed because it will be easier to clean my teeth. This may be true but I don't have insurance and really don't want to spend $1200 getting them removed. Do I really need to get them all out?...

Teeth Pulling [ 5 Answers ]

Im having 7 teeth pulled at one time. That's right 7 four of them are my wisdom teeth and 2 of them have to be cut out and then Im having 3 other teeth. How long will I need to take off from work?

Pulling baby teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to pull out a baby tooth if it is badly decayed (large cavity)

View more questions Search