Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spacopper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Do we have a valid slander law suit?
    I was awarded residential custody of me and my ex-wife's children. She was very disgruntal and has taken me to court a few times over this matter. I eventually agreed to give her residential custody after non stop harassment and 15k in lawyer bills. She now has brought me back into court to raise child support after having them just 1 year. We entered into an agreed order then and it locked in a child support amount for two years. I am a Law enforcement officer. When things don't go in her favor, she goes to my department supervisor and makes eronious statements of me involved in criminal behavior. Example 1, I filed a bankruptcy years ago and offered the bank a lump sum of money to keep a vehicle. The bank accepted the offer and I purchased the vehicle and gained the title. My ex came to the station and claimed that I had stolen this vehicle and that I was hidng it on police property. I was able to produce all necessary documents to prove ownership. 2. Another time she indiacted that I was visiting a local fire station a few doors down from her house daoly and was stalking her. Another police officer stepped forward and told my supervisor that he frequents the fire station daily at lunch to visit his brother in law who is a firefighter at that station. And now My ex has filed a compaint of harassment on both me and my new wife. We purchased a cell phone for my children to communicate with me so that no expenditures occurred to my ex for communication purposes. She took the phone belonging to me and forwarded that cell phone to her cell phone. When we called my son to communicate, she answered. She did not identify herself and we called my (son's) phone 4 more times in an attempt to figure out who was answering the phone. The following day, my ex came into my police station and showed officers the 4 calls in a row to her phone from ours. I have a detailed bill that shows the calls going to my sons phone and then being forwarded to her number. Now there is a warrant out for my wife based on the original charge of harassing communications. I have no worry about proving my side in court with the detailed phone bill as our defense, but her purpose is to ultimately cost me my job and discredit me as an officer. I have a flawless record at my department. Do we each have valid reasons to pursue charges of slander, and what are my chances of winning. This woman will not go away.
    jessebearz Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2008, 09:58 PM
    My god! I have an ex that's like that, so I really hope all gets better!! Hang in there!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 04:49 AM
    You need to immediately disconnect the call forwarding feature on the cell phones. You also need a very good family after divorce custody type attorney. He may be able to file some sort of restraining order against her for the continued harassment.

I was wondering how you could be awarded residential custody yet still paying her child support. Does not make sense. Please clarify who has custody - you or the ex. Who pays support to whom. Ages of children, please.
    spacopper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 07:10 AM
    I had custody of them for about 4 years, after fighting for so long, I agreed to let her have residential custody. The two teenagers wanted to go live with their mother. She took me to court and again I was awarded residential custody. However I granted my children their wishes and let them go live with their mother with an agreed order to get her off my back and stop the harassment. I agreed to a certain amount of child support that would not increase for two years. Now, after 1 year she decided to get an attorney and ask for more child support. When I filed a counter suit and asked for a change of cuastody, the allegations of harassment from her began, and once again my job and integrity was attacked. We picked the phone up and had to dial the *73 to discontinue the call forwarding. We have not given them the phone back because of the trouble it caused.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I think you have a case for a Restraining Order and harassment charge. But not the slander. Even though it technically qualifies it seems to have done you no damage. You have disproved her claims and I'm sure your supervisors realize she's lying.

Continue to document everything
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Use this evidence to get a restraining order against her. And/or sue her for the costs of your defending yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander [ 3 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 6yrs and remarried with my second child on the way. My ex in laws keep telling these NASTY lies like I have been molested to people all over town. After I divorced their son they started all of these sick lies about me to try to hurt me. My daughter has to hear this sick...

Can I file a slander, libel defamation of character suit [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex has repeatedly slandered me. I have not seen my boyfriends son in almost a year. He is not allowed to be near me because I said to him one day to go get his back pack and he said his mother said it was an overnight bag. I said yes it can be but did you ever use it as a back pack...

Would this be Slander ? [ 6 Answers ]

Just before christmas I ran into a problem with a so called friend. I was having problems with my boyfriend and was in the process of moving out into a ne apartment next door to her( the friend ). I was back and forth with whether I was going to do it because we have been together for 13 years....

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

View more questions Search