Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ExpectingMommy1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Rude Ultrasound Tech
    :mad: Hi all, I just need to vent... I'm 20 weeks and 3 days pregnant, and I've only had 2 ultrasounds.. My first one was at a separate clinic when I was only 8 and a half weeks and they told me my due date was christmas day but the hospital I am going to for my pregnancy has never given me a ultrasound so I was so excited because I haven't seen my baby in so long but the Tech was so mean... First she put extremely hot gel on my stomach that had my stomach feeling like it was burning, then every time I asked a question she cut me off and said I'll show you everything and answer your questions after I check all the organs, so I patiently waited and watched the monitored, after she was finished she simply said this is the arm, this is the leg, and this is the head. I felt crushed because I was so excited and she just seemed to be in the worst mood. Then I asked her what I was having because this was suppose to be the ultrasound I found out. And she said I think its girl but I'm not sure. She didn't even try to really look. And I have no clue when my next ultrasound is so I have to buy yellow and green clothing.:mad:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Sometimes they cannot tell that soon or based on the position that the baby is in, so you can't blame her for that. But it does sound like she was grumpy, and shouldn't have taken it out on you. You can go back to the original clinic you went to and get another, and see if you get different results.

Aug 12, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the advice... I've been looking up places that gives a first ultrasound free kind of deal.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Aug 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Oh my God I would be so pissed! I am currently 19 weeks 4 days and I have my ultrasound next week. If I were you, I would speak to your doctor about getting another ultrasound done at a different location. Some doctors that have children of their own will sympathize with you and try to help you best they can. The only problem you may come in contact with is your insurance may not cover an u/s that is not medically relevant. I hope you get to have another one. I am so excited to find out the sex of my baby and I would have probably thrown a fit if she would have been rude to me. I am very hormonal lately! :D
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margarita_momma
    I am very hormonal lately! :D
    I think you get a free "pass" or two if you are riding a roller coaster these days dear. =) glad all is going OK still.

as for the OP'er's venting... you deserved better treatment. The tech needs to hear that you were treated inappropriately. I would call and ask to talk to the rad dept supervisor or perhaps even call human resources to file a complaint.

having working in radiology years ago, I know how stressed it can be when things blow up on you... you can have asap's and stats needing to be done and suddenly a bus wreck makes the entire day behind, delayed, and pressured... tho' usually ultrasound wasn't as pressured as general radiology/ct/mri... so I'm guessing it was a bad morning for her or a bad attitude in general.

but that (stress) comes with the job... its going to be stressful, and a person needs to know there are consequences for inappropriate behavior.

personally, if my wife went through that and I wasn't there id probably stomp my irish arse down there and make them look me in the face while I complain, specifically talking to the supervisor... and then id probably hit HR if I'm still steamed.
    HAPPYNCONFUSED Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Aug 12, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpectingMommy1
    :mad: Hi all, I just need to vent...I'm 20 weeks and 3 days pregnant, and I've only had 2 ultrasounds.. My first one was at a separate clinic when i was only 8 and a half weeks and they told me my due date was christmas day but the hospital I am going to for my pregnancy has never given me a ultrasound so I was so excited because I havent seen my baby in so long but the Tech was so mean...First she put extremely hot gel on my stomach that had my stomach feeling like it was burning, then everytime I asked a question she cut me off and said I'll show you everything and answer your questions after i check all the organs, so I patiently waited and watched the monitored, after she was finished she simply said this is the arm, this is the leg, and this is the head. I felt crushed because I was so excited and she just seemed to be in the worst mood. Then I asked her what I was having because this was suppose to be the ultrasound I found out. And she said I think its girl but I'm not sure. She didnt even try to really look. And I have no clue when my next ultrasound is so I have to buy yellow and green clothing.:mad:

There is no explanation on how to justify the tech attitude. Request another ultrasound and let them know what happen with the first tech. You will probably get another tech that has feelings and will tell you everything you need to know. One question, when did they start using hot gel? Wow she was evil... Good Luck and don't let her get the best of you! Whatever you have will be beautiful ad healthy...
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Just ask you doc for another Ultrasound, If your insurance will cover it, I am sure your doc will not have a problem writing for one.

Aug 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I was thinking that same thing about the hot gel because I remember my first ultrasound gel being cold... but thanks everyone for the advice.. I wanted to talk to the supervisor or someone but I didn't want to seem "hormonal" lol but thanks everyone I have an appointment on the 19th so I'll talk to my doctor and ask/beg for another one.. THANKS ALL
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Just remember these people are working for you. You write the check for their services if you aren't happy with the service give them the gift of complaining about it... it might just make the attitude change.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 02:29 PM
    well... take on what you can, but I agree with the above post... and people will never know what they are doing wrong until someone tells them.

I was "reported" once by a patients family when I worked in the hospital as a radiology assistant in HS/college. I was transporting a patient down for exams, and about half the time the night shift would be behind schedule... so id rush.

I thought a good job was getting the numbers through... nothing like waking a sick person at 10PM to tell then they need a chest x-ray because our department was short staffed or bogged down with emergency patients. So when we were backed up, id hustle.

point is... I didn't realize what my speed could do to affect a sick patient. I had great control over the carts, but a person looking up at the ceiling could easily get sick. I didn't like hearing from my supervisor about it, but it gave me perspective. Made me do a better job.

maybe that person just had a bad day... or not. There are grouches in all areas.

you should have been treated better and they should know that they need to elevate their level of service. Its not about hormones. Service industries need feedback to correct mistakes.

all you can do is give a person a chance to do the right thing. Sometimes that means somebody else needing to say "im sorry"...
    jasymin24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 09:00 PM
    I'm in the medical field and I know that most aren't allowed to tell you anything about the ultrasounds... you have yo realize that it is the doctor who ultimately it is the doctor who reads the ultrasounds and give the diagnosis... sure you are anxious, stressed and excited just remember that it is a diagnostic test and it serious business the techs have a lot to look for during the ultrasound the working with a live MOVING very small baby... so just sit and relax and ask if the doctor can go over everything with you. You wouldn't want them to miss something

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Demand for ultrasound tech [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was thinking about going to school for ultrasound technician but I wanted to find out first what the demand is for that career... like is it going to be hard for me to find a job?. I don't want to waste 2 years of school on something I'm not going to find a job for... so if anybody knows...

Ultrasound normal or not? [ 9 Answers ]

I am approx. 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant and have had some spotting. I went yesterday for an US and all they could see is the sac. NO fetal pole or yolk sac. I was just wondering if this was normal because of how early I am or should I be concerned. My hcg levels are were they should be. Thanks

Ultrasound ?s [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??

21 week ultrasound [ 3 Answers ]

I went for my 21 week ultrasound yesterday. When we got to the part where she was going to tell us the gender, the baby was turned and legs crossed... She went on to say quote " there is a absent of penis and scrotum, so its a girl." My question is should I get trust that? I have had three girls...

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

View more questions Search